Training without coercion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Training without coercion

I become addicted to training 21 years ago. I started with what is called "traditional" methods: choke collar, jerking, toys and food... The whole idea was that you could not expect the dog to perform the right behaviour/exercise if the dog had not learnt to do it to avoid something negative. I was training my dogs for mondioring and ipo, luckily both my belgians were highly cooperative dogs, and I was very far from the worse of coercion. In 1998 I decided to throw away all that stuff, and I started to learn about learning in a sheer positive way. Years of clicker training, but it was not enough, for me. I found my way, but I went back to schutzhund only after 10 years, thanks to a rescue german shepherd. She was 11 months old as I got her, and we reached IPO1. She was killed (poisoned), and only after 3 years I had the chance to try again. What's challenging to me, is having a background of coercion, knowing how to use it to get what I need in IPO, but being able to stay away from it. I am not using a chocke collar, or a prong collar, or an e-collar. After one year of training, I simply do not use a leash. Control is possible without coercion, even when a highly motivated dog is facing a decoy. I would like to share this kind of experience, if someone is working in a similar way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

I recently took Mirror Method training. All off leash all the time- the exact opposite of traditional training. It was developed in Hungary by Nora Vamosi-Nagy. She came to TX for 18 mos to teach it at Circle Star Pet Resort. You can google it or go to Circle Star Mirror Method facebook page to learn more about it. Changed everything for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page