Thoughts on this method of training aggressive dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thoughts on this method of training aggressive dogs

Hey guys!

Was wondering what your thoughts were of The Good Dog Training video.
I stumbled across his videos before a while ago. And came across them again. Just been watching a lot.

In this particular video:

How do you feel about the situation, the technique, the idea of it all?

How do you think it would work long term? Do you think its for all dogs? How do you feel about the dog in the video afterwards?

Any thoughts at all on the video?

(I have my opinion on it, but i want to hear yours!)

Thanks!

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

I've used an e-collar with fence aggression on my boy in regard to an American bulldog next door. Now he goes away from our mutual fence if the bulldog comes up to the fence and lies down away from the fence in my yard. He doesn't need correction. He waits for me to say break and then he comes to me. My GSD is never in the front yard without me present--I'm in a downtown house with lots of foot traffic along the front of my house.

Across the street is a well-behaved pit bull (he's had e-collar training) and the other side of my house a small dog. All of our front yards our fenced. The neighbors appreciate a well-behaved GSD.

The American bulldog next dog has attacked other dogs.

At first, my dog looked a little like the guy in the video as far as looking repressed. Now my boy lies down and looks relaxed and alert and happy. We can go to nose work classes and he lies down quietly, too.

I've done food, tug, control unleashed--e collar worked best for fence aggression.

My boy acts like a much happier dog and more relaxed.

Moriah

Last edited by Moriah; 09-09-2014 at 10:35 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Elite Member

Good structure put in place. Hard to gauge how aggressive the dog really is. A little bit of halfhearted barking on leash doesn't seem like very much.

I feel the structure and methodology overall is good. It seems he's worked a good variety of stimuli over the course of the three weeks. Though it's hard to tell much more because it's just before and after, so we don't see the training in progress or see how exactly he is structuring reward (if any), punishment, markers, or shaping new behaviors.

As long as it is practiced consistently, I'm sure it'll last long term. And it is something that would probably work on many dogs. But I would never say any one method would work for every dog.

Same structure can be applied with other training methods. I've done the exact same thing with marker training. Though I feel like I end up with a happier, more comfortable dog. The bulldog's body language does seem a bit suppressed to me.

Overall, it may be decently done. It's hard to say because I can't see any of the work in progress. I am resistant to go to aversive methods if I feel there is a potential answer in positive reinforcement, especially when it is about reactions to dogs/people. So I can't say I'm super happy about the use of the ecollar from a personal standpoint. But from a professional standpoint, it seems well done from the little that I can see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
I've used an e-collar with fence aggression on my boy in regard to an American bulldog next door. Now he goes away from our mutual fence if the bulldog comes up to the fence and lies down away from the fence in my yard. He doesn't need correction. He waits for me to say break and then he comes to me. My GSD is never in the front yard without me present--I'm in a downtown house with lots of foot traffic along the front of my house.

Across the street is a well-behaved pit bull (he's had e-collar training) and the other side of my house a small dog. All of our front yards our fenced. The neighbors appreciate a well-behaved GSD.

The American bulldog next dog has attacked other dogs.

At first, my dog looked a little like the guy in the video as far as looking repressed. Now my boy lies down and looks relaxed and alert and happy. We can go to nose work classes and he lies down quietly, too.

I've done food, tug, control unleashed--e collar worked best for fence aggression.

My boy acts like a much happier dog and more relaxed.
Good work on your boy!! That is the exactly what we want a happy relaxed dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
Good structure put in place. Hard to gauge how aggressive the dog really is. A little bit of halfhearted barking on leash doesn't seem like very much.

I feel the structure and methodology overall is good. It seems he's worked a good variety of stimuli over the course of the three weeks. Though it's hard to tell much more because it's just before and after, so we don't see the training in progress or see how exactly he is structuring reward (if any), punishment, markers, or shaping new behaviors.

As long as it is practiced consistently, I'm sure it'll last long term. And it is something that would probably work on many dogs. But I would never say any one method would work for every dog.

Same structure can be applied with other training methods. I've done the exact same thing with marker training. Though I feel like I end up with a happier, more comfortable dog. The bulldog's body language does seem a bit suppressed to me.

Overall, it may be decently done. It's hard to say because I can't see any of the work in progress. I am resistant to go to aversive methods if I feel there is a potential answer in positive reinforcement, especially when it is about reactions to dogs/people. So I can't say I'm super happy about the use of the ecollar from a personal standpoint. But from a professional standpoint, it seems well done from the little that I can see.
Some really good points there Pax! Makes sense.

I also noticed and agreed with the bull dog, she did look suppressed to me too or something. Didn't look happy and calm.
But i do like the in general idea of what he is doing. Maybe if he did more positive reinforcement with the e-collar also being used. The dog would have been more calm. I would have liked to see a video of adding some distractions in the beginning stages to see how he got to the end of this video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Knighted Member

I don't like this video, although I can see why some other people would. My biggest issue is that before the training, at the beginning of the video, it looks like the dog is on a prong/extendaleash, which is a ridiculous combination. The dog seems happy, although not under control. Then the owner asks for a sit, but the dog breaks it in seconds. The dog isn't trained at all - the dog is getting away with whatever it wants. I can see why the training would make the owner happy, but I would have rather had the dog in the beginning, and taught the dog what I expected right from the get-go.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I also noticed and agreed with the bull dog, she did look suppressed to me too or something. Didn't look happy and calm.
Its avoidance. She's either avoiding what caused her discomfort in the training, or he's on the button so she's avoiding now, in the video. I think ideally, over time the place command is a comfort zone kinda thing so she has the confidence to maintain it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
My biggest issue is that before the training, at the beginning of the video, it looks like the dog is on a prong/extendaleash, which is a ridiculous combination.
I saw that too. I didn't think to mention it though because I see it so often with the general public that I get burnt out on harping on it everywhere.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Interesting, thanks guys.

Seemed like in general mixed reviews, like my feelings on it. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page