What is the benefit of getting a CGC? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What is the benefit of getting a CGC?

What really is the benefit of having CGC? I mean Titan is a good boy, we trained a lot, he's good in all these situations and I don't feel he would have issues passing this test, but because of the cost and having to take this 6 week class for it, I am wondering what the value of the actual certificate really is if you already have a well behaved dog in public situations.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Crowned Member

Some people like to have it as recognition that they have done something with their dogs, for whatever reason. It's a fun goal for some, trainers like to make their dogs look good (this is why I do it) and some people do it for insurance/rental purposes. Sometimes landlords will be more apt to rent to a "good citizen".

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Elite Member

You can look for the test only version. In this case you just show/sign up and take the test directly (only pay for the test).

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Banned

I believe nationwide insurance in some state or in just a small area has started to give exemptions if you have an "aggressive breed" and want to get homeowners insurance. Other than that...there isn't really a tangible benefit.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Elite Member

You shouldn't have to take a six week course to take the test. Many trainers offer it as a stand alone test if you feel your dog will pass it. It is typically $10-25 in my area.

I will be putting all my dogs through it both because it is a fun goal and the documentation is helpful where I am living in a rental situation. As previously posted, landlords are more likely to rent and some insurance companies for apartment complexes will make exceptions to their "dangerous" breed list for a dog who has a documented training achievement like CGC.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Got it.. thanks guys! I was deciding between the CGC course and Beginner's agility and I couldn't justify spending $145 to learn things he already knows.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think there is any reason to take a class. It's all basic obedience stuff. I do think they are good to have. Other than the puppies, all our dogs have one. We usually just take the test when we are at a trial or other event that also happens to be offering them.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Got it.. thanks guys! I was deciding between the CGC course and Beginner's agility and I couldn't justify spending $145 to learn things he already knows.
Yeah, if you want him to get it I would just find a trainer who will give you a stand alone test if you want him to get his CGC. It's really unnecessary for him to go through a class if he already knows everything in it. :P
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

You can search for evaluators on AKC's website. Contact them individually. No need for a class.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Master Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that there's a tangible benefit in getting a CGC, but I think that's true of most titles. Bear is my only dog that has his CGC, and it's not because he's better trained than my other dogs. I wanted to get his CGC to recognize the work that we've done with him. We're starting to dabble in the sport world and the CGC is just a starting point for us. Also being a GSD that is doing IPO training, I figure it's not a bad thing to have. I know Nationwide will make exceptions for "dangerous breeds" that have a CGC, and I'm sure it would help when trying to find a place to rent.

That said, I'm not rushing out to get CGCs on my other dogs. I know they're good stable dogs that have been put in more situations than the CGC asks for. They're older mixed breed pets that are content just hanging out with us, so I don't see a need. I definitely wouldn't take a class just for the test with Titan - agility sounds like it would be fun! If you want him to get a CGC, check around at training centers. Often they will have events where you can come and take the test for a small fee ($20ish).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page