CGC? questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

CGC? questions

Does your dog have it's certificate?
At what age was/is your dog when it received it?
What was the hardest part of the test for your dog?
How many years in training before you took the test and passed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

Does your dog have it's certificate? Yes

At what age was/is your dog when it received it? 1.5

What was the hardest part of the test for your dog? Controlled separation

How many years in training before you took the test and passed? 1.3 most CGC stuff was covered by basic puppy obedience, just needed work on the separation part which we covered as part of training for the BH

Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Lady - snuggle extraordinaire!
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Elite Member

no certificate. we have the test result paper but don't see the need in the certificate.

11 months.

IDK, i wasn't there. wife did it.

about 3 months of weekly basic obedience classes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

our class worked on the separation thing last night -- oh yeah that was a huge need to work on thing. Roxy HATES me being out of her sight...they had us go in the bathroom and I could hear the whining from clear in there. This is going to be the part I am most worried about....and she didn't want any part of having somebody brush her. I have one of those kong zoom grooms and that is what she likes being brushed with by ME we have a long way to go I think ...and she's 1.5 and this is time 4 of being in class. 1st time through level 2.
The trainers assistant has a 4 year old gsd that still isn't ready either so I get it ...some mature slower than others.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Yes

9 months

The separation was definitely the hardest, she rarely lets me out of her sight, let alone left with a stranger.

We had a basic obedience class before doing the CGC.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

4 out of 6 of my dogs have it.

Tannor and Robyn both went to obedience classes that included all phases of the test. There are 3 levels with the end goal being the CGC. Both Robyn and Tannor were about 10 months with ongoing training in their classes. The same for Brennan, but he was a little over a year by the time he was done with those same classes. Midnite the male GSD never had any training for any part of the test and passed it at about a year and a half. None of them had any issues with any part of the test.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

Truthfully...I hate classes that train just for the CGC exercises. I don’t think it teaches the dog anything but the exercise…and like your dog, it doesn’t really help get them over things and truly doesn’t prove anything because if you do just get your dog used to a certain brush…the dog might still fail when a different brush is used for the test.

My first dog…that I raised from a puppy. Got his at around two years old. I had to wait a little for maturity, but it was mostly just working on the stay. He had his CD before that, and we just kind of trained for obedience, not really the exercises. I knew his temperament would get him through the touching/noise exercises. Plus…with enough obedience, the dog should just get through some of that stuff. He also had his temperament certification from the GSDCA by that point as well…so I knew he could handle more than what the CGC tests for.

My female…got her in December at 2.5 years old, worked a bit in obedience, started IPO work, just passed her CGC this summer. We have a CGC evaluator that comes to our training group, and she offered to give the test to the dogs. It was really fun. Our helper was in the group for the walking around people exercise…and all the dogs passed with flying colors.

I think the training just needs to be about training a good dog, rather than focusing so much on the exercises. You start to put too much stress on the dog when you’re really focusing on just those 10 exercises and trying to get over one or two of the issues you’re seeing. If you don’t make the training a big deal, your dog won’t think a lot of stuff is a big deal. But when you’re constantly pushing a brush at them, grabbing their feet, ect…you’re not letting the dog be themselves. You’re just doing things to the dog that it doesn’t like and doesn’t understand why you’re doing them to it.

As far as your trainer’s assistant having a 4 year old dog that still hasn’t passed the CGC…I’m sorry…that’s not maturity, that’s a failure in training or just bad temperament. There shouldn’t be any excuse for not having a CGC by 4 years old…maturity is just a cop out, especially for someone that wants to be a dog trainer.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Elite Member

we don't think we're going to do any basic classes with our newest pup before the test. he's 8 months and we're just going to take the test so he can start the advanced off leash training. he already has all the basic commands cemented in and is extremely socialized. no point in wasting time teaching what he already knows. we want to jump him into our trainer's rally/advanced obedience, agility and a little nosework classes but he's just still too much a complete goofball right now with not enough attention span. may a couple more months.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Master Member

Yes

9 months

The 3 minute separation

Bear has been in some type of training since we brought him home at 12 weeks. His obedience club did the test.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Knighted Member

Passed the test, didnt send in for certificate as he's not AKC

9 months

Hardest part was being close to another dog. He wanted to play so we had to work on that a lot.

Did obedience training since he was 4 months old

Dexter Bartolomeo -GSD (approx 3 1/2 years)
Fluffy Cornelius - Maltipoo rescue (approx 8yrs)
Squeezette Antoinette- Shih Tzu (17 yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page