One minded for food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

One minded for food

Hello, I have a GS puppy mix (possibly lab?) that is 5 months old. She appears to be all shepherd except that she is completely blonde like a lab. Anyway, we have had her for a month and a half and she has been decently easy to train. Over the last couple of weeks she has been waking up earlier and earlier (and whining until I get up to deal with her) just because she wants to eat. When I let her out of the crate she refuses to do anything other than sit in the spot she knows food is served. She must have to go potty after being in her crate, but even if I put her outside she will not go. She will wait by the door until I let her back in and feed her. I am feeling like she's taking control over me in this instance because it's sometimes as early as 4am that she's doing this and I'm in the middle of my sleep. I can't just leave her sit in that spot and go back to bed. Chances are she will end up getting in to something or finally relieving herself in the house. I have been waiting to feed her until later in the evening (like 8pm or so) in hopes that feeding her later will keep her from waking up so early for food. This doesn't seem to be making a difference. I am feeding her the correct amounts as far as growth/age charts, and as well as suggested amounts on the bag are concerned. She gets a healthy amount if activity. Everything I would say is pretty normal. She doesn't spend a ton of time in her crate either. She does know the crate is her own space and she does like it and gets rewards. I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere! Help!!! I need to finish my sleep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Knighted Member

Put her on ignore. It can be hard, but your dog is training you, not the other way around

I will let my little puppy out if he fusses early in the morning, because he's not yet housebroken (11 weeks old), but then he goes right back into his crate until I'm ready to get up.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Crowned Member

Same as Blackshep said.. ignore her. Honestly. She has learned that if she persists.. you will feed her. It will be tough at first. If you feel you need to take her to go potty at that time in case, leash her.. and if she doesn't do her business bring her back in and go back to sleep.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page