Let the dogs fight, even bite, even a puncture wound. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Let the dogs fight, even bite, even a puncture wound.

So someone told me, that they read from a trainer called Jamie Shaw, to let dogs fight to the point of biting and even letting a puncture wound. If it
becomes more than that than its too much.

Thoughts?

What do you think is appropriate?

Do you think food, space, people guarding is appropriate from dog to dog?

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

depends on f you have deep pockets for a trip to the ER vets, my 2 females have to be kept separated, with these 2 its a fight to the death

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
So someone told me, that they read from a trainer called Jamie Shaw, to let dogs fight to the point of biting and even letting a puncture wound. If it
becomes more than that than its too much.

Thoughts?

What do you think is appropriate?

Do you think food, space, people guarding is appropriate from dog to dog?
I don't think any kind of guarding is appropriate. I have 6 dogs and no fights. If they look at one the wrong way they are removed. I'm not getting in the middle if a fight and I certainly don't want any of mine getting hurt. Who would want their dogs to get hurt?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I dont agree with it.
And told the person it sounds like they are trying to make it easier for themselves, by finding this one source that says this.. That way she doesn't have to train her dog.
So basically her dog lunging, biting, growling at my dog because she is saying hi nicely, to her owner is apparently okay. And it's okay that she gets aggressive when she is grumpy, or when she guards the couch or under the table, etc.
She bit a dog in the face pretty bad for going near her food. She made Zelda bleed before.
Apparently by saying this, i am assuming i know everything lol Clearly, since i go to classes and see trainers- i know everything im not going out of my way for help or anything.

I told her im going to use compressed air (pet corrector or stop that) if she gets aggressive with my dog since i told her i dont think its okay, and that im going to have to do something about it. (a while ago) she said "Dont put your hands on my dog!" *sigh* Unfortunately, i dont know if iw ant to, because her dog is very scared of that noise.. But my dog wont have much of a life if i keep her separated. Her dog comes over all the time,with or without her- and there is nothing i can do about that. I will say, her dog is a lot better when she isn't around. Theres a little unwanted drama for you.. >.>

I mean maybe its true.. I dont know.. I just feel like its a big excuse for her dogs behavior and im the bad guy here.
My dog isnt near perfect, but im not justifying her actions with excuses and not doing anything about it.

So i asked the question to better understand why people believe that way, if they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by VTGirlT; 08-10-2014 at 12:29 PM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

Why is her dog there? If she shows up, put her in a crate until her owner comes and gets her...if she visits, offer her the crate so there are no confrontations. If you have to, put your own dog in a crate and then tell her that they will have to split the time in a crate while you and the owner visit.

No way would I allow someone's dog to come into my house and pick on my dog. I have had friends visit and stay over even. The dogs take turns in the crates/bedrooms/kennel runs. Never have I just let a friends dog in and interact at will. It is asking for trouble. Especially with two females, these little spats can escalate over time until one wants to kill the other. Been there. Am super careful and do not take chances at all now.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I am with Lee on this. How is you have no say in another dog being at your house? Don't let your dog be bullied, put Zeeva in a crate, or crate the other dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Crowned Member

My dad likes to bring his dog over, a 7 yr pit bull mix rescued from the shelter. He is a good dog but he is not good with toys. If he gets a toy we can't get if from him and he will guard it(with dogs not people, he just doesn't let go for us) he has a grip like no other dog I have ever met. I'm ok with him with all my dogs except Midnite. I might be over reacting but something about the two I don't trust. I have tried to make my dad and his dog happy. I have a covered 10x20 run that he goes in, but of course he don't like being all the way across the yard, so my dad feels bad and wants him out. I have put Midnite in the house to allow that but this is Midnites house and I feel bad. It was really rough on Christmas. I finally put his dog in a crate with a bone, my dad didn't want him in a crate, but what he didn't know won't hurt him. In the middle of rotating them, so his dog could go outside we put the GSD's in the bathroom. The next thing I know all of them are together, someone had to use the bathroom and let them out. I remained calm and grabbed Midnite and it was ok. It's just a lot of stress. The last BBQ I told my dad to leave his dog home. I have no problem with someone bringing their dog over, but my dogs come first. If I see a safety issue or problems starting I have no problem removing the visiting dog. Luckily my whole family are experienced in breaking up fights and none of us want to see a fight happen.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 08-10-2014 at 03:01 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I know i dont like it either..
Her dog is there cause she is my older sister, who lives in a room somewhere else. I pay rent at my parents house to save on money. She brings her dog over here for my little sister to watch, or for any of us to watch until she can get her later. Or when my older sister house sits, like this weekend and she cant bring her dog, she leaves her dog with my little sister, who is a away so im watching her. And i can tell you she does a lot better without my sister around.
And she came to visit me while i was at work watching the boarding dogs, i brought her dog with me. And she came to visit. And it's so funny how she thinks her dog is perfect, as she told me today when describing the pitbull and husky she is housesitting with, the husky is SUPER naughty.. But the pitty is really amazing and her problems with the pitty were that she sits on your stomach and wiggles in the bed.. And im thinking.. are you serious.. So that makes your dog perfect?!
As she is growling at other dogs, (which is fine for warnings) but then sister starts by baby talking her and asking her to jump up on her and rewards her for that behavior and than her dog starts lunging at the other dogs coming near her or my sister, etc.. She walks all over my sister- and she doesnt care, doesnt thin its a problem, and thinks its cute.
She is always pointing out the moments when she gets along well with other dogs. And how she does will with this type of or this type of dog. And how its just Zelda she has problems with.. And than i start thinking of all the dogs she got into fights with and i know its not true..
So clearly i cant change my sister or her dog. And i already have to put Zelda in a crate all day while im at work.. That would be so unfair to make her go back in her crate after being in it all day..
I would move out but i dont have the money currently..
And Zelda is careful of my sisters dog, she goes through boxes and the long more uncomfortable route to stay away from her dog. So its not like Zelda is being dumb about it. She use to try and play with her, but she knows that she doesnt play anymore she just gets becomes aggressive so she rarely asks her to play anymore.
I already have crazy Zelda problems to deal with and now i have to deal with my sisters perfect dog all the time lately. It's getting to be a bit much, and it just sets me off when she makes excuses for the behavior and thinks its fine, or that Zelda is the problem.

Last edited by VTGirlT; 08-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Allowing puncture wounds?! That's nuts.

Puncture wounds can be slow to heal. A puncture wound can easily get infected, need to be drained. I hope that trainer is paying his client's vet bills!

And by the way, once you allow a fight escalate to puncture wounds, and then decide "oops, it's becoming 'too much,'" how exactly is this guy recommending that clients stop it to keep it from going further? By that point, the dogs are fully engaged and one or both are drawing blood. That fight will be very dangerous to break up. The risk of a human getting caught in a redirected bite is sky-high at that moment. No way!!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Allowing puncture wounds?! That's nuts.

Puncture wounds can be slow to heal. A puncture wound can easily get infected, need to be drained. I hope that trainer is paying his client's vet bills!

And by the way, once you allow a fight escalate to puncture wounds, and then decide "oops, it's becoming 'too much,'" how exactly is this guy recommending that clients stop it to keep it from going further? By that point, the dogs are fully engaged and one or both are drawing blood. That fight will be very dangerous to break up. The risk of a human getting caught in a redirected bite is sky-high at that moment. No way!!!
Not to mention how fast it can escalate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page