Need to know if I'm Ball play / training properly? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Need to know if I'm Ball play / training properly?

So I bought my GSD the xl jive ball last night so I could try to branch out on my treat reward to a play/prey drive reward. I would have him do 5 commands "sit, down, come, down, stay" and the. After I walked back about 5 ft I'd use my trigger word "yes" and throw the ball for him to catch. He would catch the ball and run around our circle house lol until I catch him and he drops (like tag, accept I catch him by kinda catching him by a back end bear hug lol. I hope this is ok, it's how we usually get him when he has kids toys and we always praise when he either drops it or gives it to us. So I don't think he sees us grabbing him there as a bad thing, just a game.). The. I make him sit or down and stay for about 7ft and toss it for him to catch and it repeats. I also make sure I let him have it for a few min. At the end when we are done training/playing and then after the few min. I take the ball and out it up.

Is this an appropriate way to train. How would I train him to bring the ball back and not make it a chase game? Or is a chase game good mental stimulation for them?

Open to all ideas Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 11:40 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

That is fine except for the chasing - NEVER chase your dog! Have him chase you!!! You call him and run around like a maniac. Have another ball/toy available at hand, and to get your pup to bring his ball back to you, have him drop the first ball and throw the second ball.

Having him chase you and come to you for play or for a toy creates engagement - where the pup is primed to 'push' you for interaction and play. YOU are now the biggest attraction around for miles.

Wait until he is close to you to tell him to drop the first ball - no good for him to do it if he is 10 feet away.

Rest is fine, except I would mix-it up some - be unpredictable - reward him after one command, then five, then three, then play, then continue on. It will keep things more interesting for him that way.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Crowned Member

if I may, it seems like all your obedience training is static .

You want the dog to bond , put the collar on , grab your leash and do something dynamic together -- groups that move together start to think more with the others in mind . That includes military marching , rallies, going on dates even , that stroll .

Keep the dogs attention by changing speed , changing direction . You are in the driver's seat . The dog doesn't take you on the walk, you don't wait for him to sniff or leg lift --- he is on your walk not you on his.

Movement and variety are exciting . He will look forward to it and any "obedience" which is a happy consequence.
Sit-down-stay- so boring .

Seems people like to do these with their pups . These are the very last things I do and when I do them the bond and association with complying is so rewarding that these static exercises are easy.

Start with your moving exercises . Move with me. Come to me . Go away from me.

You would be surprised when you do "go away from me" in a playful way , how hard it is to get the dog to "go" . The opposite tends to happen they come back faster as part of the pushing game .

for ball play , do the two ball system.

to keep the game going he has to bring the ball to you. As soon as he has done this you lob that ball away so that he runs quickly to get it.

You have been playing fetch where the dog can keep the ball and you have to tackle him . He may not understand that coming in to you will get him more game.

From now on if the dog were to play the old game of catch me , I would walk away -- game ended.

Play TWO ball.

If he is puzzled and looks at you tempt him with a second ball that you have . He gets to run after it only when he has brought ball #1 to you . Then without any stalling or "obedience" throw that ball and keep the momentum going.

Quickly he will learn there are good things that happen when he comes to you and you are part of the happy times.

don't chase the dog -- he needs to chase you

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 08-08-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Good Lord, Carmen...that ^^ was fantastic advice!!!!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
The dog doesn't take you on the walk, you don't wait for him to sniff or leg lift --- he is on your walk not you on his.
so what do you do? stop every now and then and tell them it's now ok to sniff and pee?
I've been doing this lately and not sure because some trainers say the dog should always be allowed to sniff. you never correct him or yank him away from sniffing.
but then the dog is walking the owner, as you said
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
so what do you do? stop every now and then and tell them it's now ok to sniff and pee?
I've been doing this lately and not sure because some trainers say the dog should always be allowed to sniff. you never correct him or yank him away from sniffing.
but then the dog is walking the owner, as you said
Carmspack explained it perfectly...

You just keep walking until YOU decide it is time for a break. I do this now with my girls 6 mos. and 4.5 mos. and it changes the dynamic of the walk completely. They even ignore one another when they see it is "my time".

Kimberly
Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014

There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or closing the book.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

I guess I was looking for a comment on not letting them sniff. I'm also doing that and I like it. I'm just not sure about the not letting him sniff part when he goes to sniff something
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
I guess I was looking for a comment on not letting them sniff. I'm also doing that and I like it. I'm just not sure about the not letting him sniff part when he goes to sniff something
I am not an expert but we have "my walks" and we have casual walks. They pick up on which is which by the pace I start with my walks are at my brisk pace and start right off that way. I do not do this every time but no sniffing or potty breaks on my walks (granted they are brief walks maybe 15-20 minutes moving rather quickly).

Then we break and then they can potty/sniff and we play for a while...

Typically I use the "My Walk" as part of their training time. Casual walks are only for just being together time. Sniffing and potty allowed...

Kimberly
Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014

There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or closing the book.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

good question , would be happy to field this "so what do you do? stop every now and then and tell them it's now ok to sniff and pee?
but then the dog is walking the owner, as you said "

working dogs , all disciplines , from PD to Guide to therapy once on lead are "working" and that means focused , and in sync and free from all internal pressures - not hungry, thirsty or needing to void.

do all that potty stuff before you leave home.

sniffing and dragging and marking have the dog in a different zone , woul be like having someone on the cell phone or texting in shared personal moments.

see what would happen if your schutzhund dog goes off on a happy sniff fest , or goes around marking the blinds .

there is a time to release the dog so that they can attend to needs , but you decide when , not the dog

Carmen

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Crowned Member

I really like this approach and as I said, I've been doing this for the past few days

my only concern is yanking him when he tries to sniff. I'm afraid that's sending the message that sniffing isn't ok. or he will soon understand that sniffing is ok but only when I say so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page