Can't get out the door - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Can't get out the door

Morning folks!

I'm having a terrible time with my GSD teaching him he doesn't need to be with me every second of the day that I'm home.

As a result of his Velcro personality it's almost impossible for me to get out the door to leave for work in the morning. It's a battle EVERY SINGLE TIME. He pushes, shoves, uses his nose to keep me from closing the door. If I come back inside to have him sit down he instantly starts jumping all over me. I'm so frustrated and frankly get irritated with him when he does this.

He's really good when he goes out WITH me. Sits at door, I can open and walk outside with door open and he waits until I say okay but he insists on sitting right next to the screen door during this which leads to my problem when I try to leave the house without him and need to close the regular door.

I've tried tricking him with puzzles which works but seriously he needs to learn to not freak out when I leave.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

Crate him. Leave matter of factly. Do not make it a big deal when you come home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Banned

Yup, crate.

Or you have to start working on a good stay or wait. Put down a small rug or towel and teach your dog to sit or down on it. Teach him that he can't move from that spot no matter what. The rug or towel will give a dog a visual of what it needs to stay on and helps a lot. Make him sit there while you leave. The actual "stay" training might take weeks or months before you can properly use it while you're leaving.

When you come back...if he jumps on you...grab his front paws and don't let him go until he's laying down or clearly relaxed. He'll struggle a bit when you're holding his paws because dogs don't like to be restrained. The moment he relaxes...you let him go. This will teach him to not jump on you (or anyone) because he'll get restrained. And will teach him that he's free to do anything he wants as long as he's relaxed. With my boy, it took up about 3 days of catching his paws for him to figure out he just needs to stop jumping on people. It's really amazing how quickly it worked and didn't need any type of corrections.

My dog is still extremely excited to see us when we get back. He'll rub up on you and act very happy, but he doesn't jump up. He knows he'll get his love (or be able to jump up when I ask for a hug) but he's not allowed to jump up himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Crate him. Leave matter of factly. Do not make it a big deal when you come home.
Agreed when I leave my house I crate my little guy and leave Bella to roam around. I don't make a huge deal about my comings and goings. I learned when I say goodbye that's like an invitation for her to be all over me and get ramped up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Marlena
Bella 9/23/09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gatticus 3/6/13

Cats zorro & Patches
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I have nothin against crating him......HOWEVER when we do he howls constantly for hours. When we both leave the house this is not an issue but my husband works nights thus sleeping during the day is difficult with a howling dog as you can imagine.

I will try the alternate suggestions, thank you! Also started grabbing his paws/legs with jumping, it appears to already be making an impact so thanks so much for that tip!!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Elite Member

That's an interesting suggestion of grabbing their paws when they jump up! I don't think ive heard that before! Mainly the turn your back, etc! Cody went thru a phase of like body slamming me at the door, he quit with the turning my back (more like my side!) but this sounds a little easier! Will keep in mind for next pup! Thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Banned

he needs you to train him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuStoltz615 View Post
Morning folks!

I'm having a terrible time with my GSD teaching him he doesn't need to be with me every second of the day that I'm home.

As a result of his Velcro personality it's almost impossible for me to get out the door to leave for work in the morning. It's a battle EVERY SINGLE TIME. He pushes, shoves, uses his nose to keep me from closing the door. If I come back inside to have him sit down he instantly starts jumping all over me. I'm so frustrated and frankly get irritated with him when he does this.

He's really good when he goes out WITH me. Sits at door, I can open and walk outside with door open and he waits until I say okay but he insists on sitting right next to the screen door during this which leads to my problem when I try to leave the house without him and need to close the regular door.

>>>>> I've tried tricking him with puzzles which works but seriously he needs to learn to not freak out when I leave.<<<<<

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Knighted Member

I agree with Sunflowers about not making a big deal about coming home. What has worked for us when we come home is to have a routine. We do not get too excited and since Molly is allowed in the sofa, we all go to the sofa to sit, she's allowed up, she sits on the sofa and does not jump on us. Then we go to the kitchen for a tiny treat and the excitement is over and no jumping.

I wonder if you can practice leaving for 3 minutes, then come home and not be too excited when leaving or returning. After a couple days increase the time to, say 6 minutes you are away, and keep doubling it when you see improvements.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Elite Member

Yep, don't make a big issue out of leaving and coming home.

Tell him you will be back soon then just leave (even if he is blocking the door, just walk through him). When you come home, ignore him until he is calmer then say hello. Be consistent and you will eventually be able to leave when he hears the words 'I'll be back soon' because he will associate that with you going and the fact that you do come back.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
he needs you to train him.
Don't you think that's why I came here...for advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page