recall recall recall - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Smile recall recall recall

So our puppy is 12 weeks old and we have been training about 3-4 times a day in small 5-10 minute sessions and she is catching on pretty quick. She sits, lies down, rolls over (still have to lure her to do that), takes treats gently, and heels. So my next task I want to work on is our Recall. I have seen some videos on recall training but I wanted to hear from other people that have established a solid recall. What exercises do you do to build the recall? How do you start training your puppy in recall? Pointers and any advice on recall training and what you found works for you and your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Elite Member

Not gonna lie, when I first clicked on this I was thinking it was a bad product recall. So much happier that it's a dog training recall.

As to what worked for us, we started by making it a game. We stood at opposite sides of a room and one of us called Cafall. When he came he got a treat. Then the other person called him and he got another treat when he came to them. Back and forth, round robin, then eventually from one room to another room. From there we just built up distance and added distractions and practiced other places outside the home. Just keep it fun and stress free.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrg4 View Post
Not gonna lie, when I first clicked on this I was thinking it was a bad product recall. So much happier that it's a dog training recall.
Oops haha i guess your right, at first look it looks like a report of a bad product recall. Sorry about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrg4 View Post
As to what worked for us, we started by making it a game. We stood at opposite sides of a room and one of us called Cafall. When he came he got a treat. Then the other person called him and he got another treat when he came to them. Back and forth, round robin, then eventually from one room to another room. From there we just built up distance and added distractions and practiced other places outside the home. Just keep it fun and stress free.
Thats a really good idea! It will teach her to come to both my wife and I And once she get really good, we can play hide and seek. haha A true test haha
Thanks again, I'll have to give that a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Master Member

I used two things. When Myles was little and I would take him for potty breaks, we would play a bit of a game. I started with a tug rope toy, dangling it in front of him and walking backwards. Puppy comes, puppy gets to play with toy. It progressed to tossing it a little ways off and saying "Bring it to mommy!" when I started going backward again. Treat or toy whenever he came, always making coming awesome. It also helped that my roommate had a few dogs who hung around/came when called. Other dogs are honestly awesome for helping teach a puppy. Not sure if you have friends who have dogs with a solid recall. But we practice with calling everyone, even if the new dog is on a leash. If the dog comes closer, it gets a treat. Everyone else is doing it after all.

We actually have pretty good group hikes with lots of dogs involved with this method. No one wants to be left behind! Lots of food and praise, getting to play a favorite game. It is all a ton of fun.

We actually have an Afghan who we can trust off leash because he sticks with the rest and even if he gets distracted, he doesn't want to be left behind.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Knighted Member

We used treats, and started with short distances, and moved farther out as she improved. Due to our yard layout, we never used a leash at home so we really worked on recall every time we went outside. It was summer so it was pretty much constant. She has perfect recall, even camping she is loose with us.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 AM

well that's great to hear, my dog is around 15 months old and I have thought him the basics( go home,go away,sit,stay,come here etc..) but every time I let him out in his crate (once a day) for like 2-3 hrs in 2 acre of yard. the first 1 hr he wont listen to me unless I have treats..after the 1 hr he'll listen to me without treats..is this normal? and can it be fixed? just wondering..
thanks

Last edited by gmanshepherd; 11-24-2013 at 06:42 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Banned

your pup knows a lot for a 12 week old. proof the things
your pup knows. when we taught our pup to come we
use to sit on the floor facing each other with our feet
touching. our legs were around the pup. the pup was leashed.
my GF held his leash. i turned the pup towards my GF. my GF
would say "Loki, come" and at the same time i would say "go to
Rosie". as i pushed him towards her my GF would pull his leash.
pet, praise. then my GF would toss me the leash and turn
the pup towards me. i would say "Loki, come" and at the sametime
my GF would say "go to Tillmon". our learned "come" and "go to" (insert
name) at the same time. as he started to learn "come" i would stand
near him and call him. as he progressed i started i started adding
distance and being out of sight when i called him. we only called him
once. "Loki, come", as soon as we said it we started making he come towards us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitbach343 View Post

>>>>> So our puppy is 12 weeks old and we have been training about 3-4 times a day in small 5-10 minute sessions and she is catching on pretty quick. She sits, lies down, rolls over (still have to lure her to do that), takes treats gently, and heels. <<<<<

So my next task I want to work on is our Recall. I have seen some videos on recall training but I wanted to hear from other people that have established a solid recall. What exercises do you do to build the recall? How do you start training your puppy in recall? Pointers and any advice on recall training and what you found works for you and your dog.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Knighted Member

I made sure to set my puppy or dog up for success in recall training by using the formal recall for only those times that I could reinforce the idea that being told "here" means coming right now. So I would only use it when I had the puppy/dog on a long line and could reel them in if needed. I did not want to ever give them the idea that it responding was optional.

Also I made sure to never end the fun when they came. I never called, "Here" and then crated them or brought them in from a fun play time outside. I would call, "Here" and when they came I would reward the behavior (food or toy), do something else (like a quick heel, or a sit and/or down) and then I would crate of bring them in. I never want them to associate responding to a recall with the End Of All Fun Things.

I also made sure to use it when I had no other intention than to give them a reward for responding and quick scratch on the chest and then release to go back to whatever they were doing. They need to know that responding is a good thing. And they need tons of practice.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page