ok...I don't get it... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

ok...I don't get it...

I have worked with Sib for three years now to walk beside me and to not pull my arms out of their sockets every time we go around the block..I have used every kind of collar, harness, halti..you name it..all to no avail..So, my friend buys me an e collar..just a cheap one..no real varying degrees of stim or shock...but I have used it a few times on Sib on vib and she has responded appropriately...The last two days we have walked the block..first time around I let her do her sniffing, etc..the second time around she is to heel and walk loose leash..She does this perfectly, AS LONG AS I HAVE THE REMOTE TO THE COLLAR IN MY HAND, So now what I think this is telling me is that she knew all along what I wanted but was too bull headed to do it for me... So to my question, why does she make me take such extreme measures to give me what I want?

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Elite Member

She may not have liked the vibrate feeling. My oldest dog will run the neighborhood if he is not wearing an ecollar. Ours does have adjustable controls. There is a button to make it beep then shock. (when we used this we set it on a setting that didn't hurt us.) There is another button that only beeps. We only have to use the beep button now and he stays in the yard. Most of the time just wearing the collar is enough to keep him in the yard. However, when the collar is off then he is out like the wind running the neighborhood. Thankfully he has learned and is really good at the stay command now. So, we rarely have that issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Knighted Member

To answer your question, she didn't make you do anything. You weren't strong enough to take charge and be the leader.

You were the follower and she was the leader. Females can be very pushy and bitchy and you can't always handle them like you can the males.

Some dogs are very stubborn or 'hard' and it is sometimes difficult to get through to them.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ok , I'll buy that..I got her at 14months and the reason she was given back to the breeder by her first owner (a man) was because he was unable to control her on leash...So do you think she has finally given in to me..? Re: my strength as a leader...I have done the best I could do..i am by no means a push over...just can't get her to give in to me...I hate to think I will have to always hold this e collar over her head.so to speak...I would like it if she would just do it to please me...

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Would also like to mention..we have just , after 2 years, come off the prong collar...A small victory, but a victory ....

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I think Hard may very well describe her ....But she is a wonderful dog...

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Knighted Member

I couldn't say if she has given in to you, or the collar. How are the rest of her commands, especially recall?

If she is the leader on walks, it's likely she is also the leader in other areas as well.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So, you think it is true that she has know all along what I want but was just too bullheaded to do it? How, would you handle a gsd llike this?

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Elite Member

My take on it is the dogs walks by your side when you have the collar remote in your hand because she associates the collar with the correction and wants to avoid the correction. She knows when you have the remote you can deliver the correction.

What I've gathered from e collar training is you want the dogs behavior to trigger the stimulus rather than the dog knowing you are delivering it.

I really like these Tyler Muto clips to show people how to walk a dog with out it causing major stress.
Tyler Muto - YouTube
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Her recall is great , unless she doesn't want to come!! She follows commands well if there is food in the mix..I have worked so hard with her. and she is so smart...She just is so strong willed...maybe the e collar should have been used before this..But, gosh, the first couple of times, it broke my heart seeing her reaction to it...But I must say after 3 years of trying to keep her out of the kitchen while i am preparing food..the e collar convinced her in one shot..to stay out

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page