E-collar trainer, wants to train my dog. Not train me to train my dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

E-collar trainer, wants to train my dog. Not train me to train my dog.

???
So i was researching trainers, e-mailed one. And than gave her a call.
So she wants to put my dog on a 2 week board and train.
I asked if she would consider training me on how to use the e-collar and give me a program so i can train her.
She said that she doesn't find this works well..
Umm.. But i want to train my dog. Not someone train my dog for me for 2 weeks with me having no idea what they are doing to her, etc.
I simply want someone in person, to show me the timing and how to properly and humanely use an e-collar. She was the only person in VT I could find.
And on top of that i cant afford $2000- so unfortunately, i have to go back to square one.
Got any ideas on how i can find e-collar trainers? I been doing google search and haven't had much luck..

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

IMO...NOPE!!!! What's the point of training only the dog? Is she going to follow you around the rest of hte dogs life and continue the training? Training is lifelong, not 2 weks and the most important part of training is training the PERSON.

If you want to know about e-collars, contact Lou Castle. He can probably help you more over the phone than this person could ever help you.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 03:08 PM

Maybe try calling a bunch of different trainers and explain your situation (I have read lots of your posts about Zelda since I joined in August) as maybe they don't list on their websites that they use e collars. I bet more use them than say they do, if that makes sense. I definitely think it is a bit odd of the trainer you spoke to not to offer to work with you alongside Zelda, but I think that if you talk to enough trainers you will find one who will work with you. Has something new happened with Zelda or is this just part of the the ongoing training process with her? Best of luck, she is a beautiful girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

Find someone that does field retriever style training, not obedience trainers. The field retriever trainers know how to do it and usually put a decent foundation on the dog. If they want to do a rush job, stay away. It should take some time, several sessions to get the dog trained and proofed on an e-collar.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Have you tried contacting any local Schutzhund clubs? Their trainer should know how to use an e-collar.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Banned

Yeah you really need to focus on higher lever trainers and not just search for people using that tool. Fact is...I wouldn't want to train with a trainer that thinks a single tool will work for all dogs and specializes in just that tool. I want to know that they'll go through the gamut of tools and see what works for the dog. I also would never give my dog to anyone for training...its up to me to train my dog. The reason people do it...they can make A LOT more money doing it. For two weeks they charge $2000, if your dog is one of 5 they have for those 2 weeks, that's $10000. Its a lot more than charging $50-$100 for an hour of personal work with you and your dog.

Any reason you're so stuck on the e-collar? Usually people only go to the e-collar when a trainer recommends it because everything else hasn't worked.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 PM

You are wise to want to train your own dog. Training = bonding/leadership. Anyone with good common sense and the knowledge can train the right dog to do just about anything. Lazy people are an exception. If a person really wants a well trained dog, it's up to them, it's going to take work on their part, it's an ongoing process. Training shouldn't start before a loving bond is in place. Figure out what drives your dog and exploit it. Start out with treats, after a while a good dog will spit out the treats for the ball. There is more than enough information on the net and in print to get where you want to be. Sort thru all of the how to videos and everything else you can lay your eyes & hands on, figure out what works best with your dog and get to it, change up if necessary. Train from both ends, positive reinforcement with loving corrections. The e-collar is a fantastic tool, there is nothing like a wireless correction. I use it to tweak known task's and stop unwanted behavior.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM

Best e-coller

SITMEANSSIT. COM

Sit Means Sit is a company I went threw and I think they have the best coller and remote out there. Life time warranty also.
I use mine all the time. And my dog loves it when I put it on her cuz she knows "were going somewhere or doing something"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page