Stuck - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Stuck

Hi everyone. Hope all is well w you all.

I have a few questions about Ava. She's approx 10 months old now. Just finishing her first heat (in case that has anything to do with anything lol) and I seem to be at a stand still with her training.

When I first met her she was very unresponsive to her handler- no eye contact, no focus, barely listened, hyper active etc.
I started working w her as soon as I got her but still not where I'd like her to be.
She learns VERY quickly from what I can see.
I just don't know if she gets bored or what but training seems to frustrate her at times. She will act out what I ask if her rushed and bothered just to get the treat and sometimes not at all! As if her day is booked and I just didn't get an appointment! LOL.

Since she is mixed husky I have read a lot on them and this behavior seems typical of a husky. But I don't want to blame her scatterbrained -ness on her being a husky mix. That just can't be it! Can it?!??

I will say, she has calmed down A LOT. And she improved tons from when I first got her but I can't help but feel like she should be a little more consistent by now.

would you recommend profession obedience training? I'd be very excited to try this and I think we can both learn a lot.

Know any good trainers in NJ (US) ?

And how much should I expect to pay for it?

Thanks for reading (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Crowned Member

My first dog was a husky, and Ava does seem to me, to have a lot of husky nature. Of course now it is more difficult with her hormones and her age (adolescent at 10 months). If it can help you, I will tell you my experience with my husky. She was 2 years old and spayed when I adopted her. She had tons of charm (to get her own way), and was easily bored. She didn't know how to sit or heel at first and I did train her to do that. She was never reliable off leash. What she loved to do was go for long walks - different places and in all kinds of weather. So I used that as an incentive and a reward. If she wanted to cross the street, she had to sit first. If she pulled, I turned around - no fun for her. If she walked on heel for a half a block - she got rewarded with sniff time. So she was smart and would do things when she wanted to and I found a way to motivate her, but also once a month when I was tired, she would challenge. By this I mean, she would "forget" her training and test me so see if she still had to do it. For example, in the backyard, one day, I called her, and she actually looked all around for another dog by the same name, to come. I wouldn't go to the expense of a trainer now for private lessons, but if there are classes in your area, you may want to sign for that. That will help to reinforce her obedience in a new setting and also see that other dogs have to obey too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017

Last edited by Mary Beth; 10-24-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with MB, look for classes. I had a malamute mix and he would test me all the time when he was younger, act like he didn't hear me etc... Oh, did you really want me to sit? And so on. He was my first dog and I didn't know what I was doing, but through a few classes and some "learned"patience on my part, he did ok with general OB. He was smart, just not as cooperative as my gsds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM

I have 20 huskies currently...
Let me tell you, this is how they are. It doesn't mean they can't be trained to be more responsive, it just takes a LOT of work. You have to find something that "turns her on", something that she really REALLY wants, to reward her with. With most huskies, food is great. Some however are a little harder to break through to. And you said she is ten months? That is around the time that they start really questioning why they should be bothered with you, except for all the good stuff you give. I know (trust me, I do) that it is really hard, and frustratin, but if you just give her as much of your time as she needs, it WILL pay off.
My lead dog, who was my first husky, will do anything I ask her. She is very protective and just an all around awesome dog. Because I spent SO much time with her. SOOOOO much time with her! She gave me a ton of crap when she was little, but now she is one of the most amazing I have ever met.
Trust me, if you give her what she needs, you'll have an even greater dog
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Classes are a huge help.
Morris K9 Campus
dizzy canine massage therapy japanese chin

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page