Bribing with food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Bribing with food

There's a web site for Amazing k9 Training that claims dogs who are trained using food are more aggressive, dominant, and even dangerous. Is there any truth to that? My puppy learns things pretty quick when there's a treat involved. That's not a problem. Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 09:06 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyV View Post
There's a web site for Amazing k9 Training that claims dogs who are trained using food are more aggressive, dominant, and even dangerous. Is there any truth to that?
Nope, none whatsoever. And I wouldn't give my hard earned money to a trainer that refers to training with food as "bribery".

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Found them: Amazing K9 Training - Dog training all breeds

Quote:
Group classes often stress- dogs and make them fearful. Which Causes a host of undesirable behaviors at home such as self-dominane. Group classes have it backward. By putting distraction first. Classes Make dogs resistant to obedience, when you need results and are paying Good money, don't waste your time with Amateur dog trainers. Pickup Your phone and call a true professional at amazing k-9 training. When dog owners Change dog problems end.
What a bunch of hooey! And someone needs to tell him about spell check - all those weird capitalizations in the middle of sentences, oy.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Nope, none whatsoever. And I wouldn't give my hard earned money to a trainer that refers to training with food as "bribery".
Good. I didn't think so. A friend is considering having them train her pit bull puppy.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

What a bunch of hooey! And someone needs to tell him about spell check - all those weird capitalizations in the middle of sentences, oy.
I didn't even read all of that. I like having my dog in puppy class with other dogs. real life is full of distractions. She might as well be used to it. She likes seeing all the people and dogs at class. I wonder if they get a lot of business. : /
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Elite Member

Quote:

I agree...save your money! LOL!

Kat
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

There have been studies that showed that using food for training is the fastest and most reliable way to teach behaviours. I used to believe that using food reward was bribing, and it degraded your position as a leader - until I got my rescue, and all we did is clash and fight for control.

I gave up trying to MAKE her do stuff, and signed up for clicker classes and moved on to food-rewards based positive training (no clickers, but using food to lure and reward), and within weeks I had a different dog! We weren't clashing, we were meshing! It was just amazing how it really turned my dog onto wanting to please me, instead of fighting me! Made me a true believer!

Food based training made her LESS aggressive, LESS dominant, and turned her into a happy dog who wanted to please. Never heard the claim that the authors of the website make about food training causing the opposite outcome!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyV;4310418[B
]There's a web site for Amazing k9 Training that claims dogs who are trained using food are more aggressive, dominant, and even dangerous. [/B]Is there any truth to that? My puppy learns things pretty quick when there's a treat involved. That's not a problem. Right?
THIS is the part I was referring to as a bunch of 'hooey'.
I train mine with treats and they've turned out fine.
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page