Training a family dog to track?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Training a family dog to track??

I'm currently on the hunt for a breeder, I apologize for how many posts I'll most likely be making! Its so amazing to interact with other dog lovers! Everyone in my life is currently a little sick of my constant puppy talk! ;D

I plan to take my puppy to obedience classes because in the past I wasn't able to accomplish anything other than sit, high five and give paw.

I've been reading quite a bit about training and I'm fascinated by tracking dogs. Would it be strange to train my dog to do this even though she wouldn't be a working dog or anything?

Has anyone else tried to train their dog to track? I would love to hear about your experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Glacier Send a message via Skype™ to Glacier
Not at all, as a matter of face I plan on doing the same with my pup. I've been reading "Tracking Dog: Theory and Methods" by Glen R. Johnson and it's been an awesome source of information. Very detail on training , mostly for AKC tracking titles, but he does mention some Schutzhund tracking stuff as well since his dog held AKC tracking and Schutzhund titles. It's fun and I can't wait to try out the puppy tracks. Good luck! I would see if you can find an AKC tracking club or a Schutzhund club near you, it can't hurt to have folks around to pick their brains.

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Master Member

I'm currently training two different dogs in tracking. One, I'm hoping to be one of, if not the first, AKC All American TD (oh heck, not just TD, but CT). She's retired from competitive obedience due to an iffy temperament, but loves to work, so we started tracking, on the off chance that the AKC would open tracking up to mixed breeds, which they finally did. I'm hoping to have her ready for certification by January or February.

The other is my GSD, whom I'm also training in obedience and rally. Trust me, she's not going to be setting the world on fire in any of the three venues, but I do have the goal of her getting at least a TD with her, in addition to obedience/rally titles.

However, they are pets first, and competition dogs second. Even if neither one ever passes a tracking test, we'll have had fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:26 AM
Elite Member

It sounds like a great way to keep the dog mentally occupied. My dog hasnt tracked yet buy loves searching for objects, its her favorite thing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 05:59 PM

I trained my terrier to track but she was a little too distracted for me to accomplish anything.
Now I have a GSD and one reason I got her is because I wanted to do tracking with her. We're just starting out and I hope she's going to do well.

Tosca - born 30th May 2013

RIP Bella - 14th Dec 09 - 10th Sept 13 - Border Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page