Non GSD HELP.. newly fixed male humping - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Non GSD HELP.. newly fixed male humping

Ok so, we just got this new english bulldog from the shelter. Hes a 5-6 year old bully who up until today, was intact. Now, we get him to my moms house and her dog (another bully) are outside and I bring the dogs together to meet. They seem ok, a little nervous maybe, but for the most part ok. We get in the house and into the back yard. My moms dog after playing a bit throws up and Bruno the newly fixed male is trying to hump her dog and hike his leg on the furniture. Now my mom starts to think this is a mistake... she should have gotten the dog at all... shes afraid shes bitten off more than she could chew... well poop.

Now, I did talk with my mom about all of this. I told her A) he still has all this testosterone in his system because hes only 30 min out of the vets B) he needs to be in a 2 week lock down. This way he can learn whats what and gives EVERYBODY time to adjust to the new situation. C) the humping will stop when he isnt allowed to do it any more ie he should be in lock down for first 2 weeks and after that if he does it, he goes back in his crate.

My mom is also taking care of my dad (stage 4 nsc lung cancer) so she has her hands full. I did tell her that if she feels she cant do it then I will contact a rescue for her. He also tested high heart worms which I planned to pay for so just straight adopting him out imo is a bad idea. Her other bully is very calm and she was expecting him to be similar to that.

I guess I am just looking for reassurance here, guidance. I helped my mom get this dog because she wanted him and I am responsible for both of them in this situation. I suppose in the end, my husband and I will have to foster him until a home can become available if push comes to shove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Knighted Member

Some of it (marking) are not necessarily testosterone, but habits. I have a shih Tzu that was neutered at 6 months and he was a terrible marker. You have to really work on training for that behavior; it probably won't go away without it. The other may or may not have anything to do with hormones. For both, I would consistently redirect/interrupt until hopefully the behaviors fade away.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

Humping is often a display of one dog asserting dominance over another. Many times, it has nothing to do with breeding or hormones. I would keep the two dogs apart for a while to ease the transition and help to ensure a good outcome.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Humping is not always a sexual behaviour motivated by hormones. It could be the dogs is nervous or excited or both. My 7 year old (Neutered since he was a pup) humps other dogs when they start playing, that how he deals with his excitement. Most other dogs don't mind and the ones that do mind tell him where to go. If it offends the family then yes teach him to go to his crate instead (not as punishment). Be prepared though that he may never really stop doing it.
As for marking...that is behaviour related. You will need to work on that with training.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Seems to be a lot of humping talk going on recently...:raised eyebrow:

Hawk and Kaiser go back and forth with this. They'll be rough housing around and all of a sudden up goes Hawk humping away. Kaiser smacks him down and returns the favor. Sparkles our female already taught Kaiser not to try that with her. The humans mean while are sooooooo uncomfortable.

Luckily none of my dogs have tried marking anything. So once again I'm thankful for how lucky I am.

I will point out that you and your mom have had this new dog for what? A few days? I'd think it would be difficult to get a solid read on this new dog in that short of a time. He doesn't sound aggressive. Sounds like there are some things that need to be sorted out, but they don't seem to me to be things that warrant rehoming. But I'm just a dumb redneck so what do I know.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Nothing he has done requires rehoming imo. My mom just all of a sudden felt so overwhelmed I think that she started to think it was a bad idea. Today, I went over to help and check on him and they are all doing much better. Hes crated (which he doesnt mind) She lets him out to go pee, run a bit and then come back inside. Hes eating now which he wasnt before, and hes very friendly with my mom and brother. The two dogs seem to want to play with each other, they will just be watched and carefully observed to make sure nothing bad happens.

My mom said shes willing to give it more time, thank goodness. He really is a great happy dog.

Question, those male wraps to keep dogs from hiking their legs, do they work? If so I could pick one up for my mom. I know that would be a big help and worry taken off her mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbud View Post
Humping is not always a sexual behaviour motivated by hormones. It could be the dogs is nervous or excited or both. My 7 year old (Neutered since he was a pup) humps other dogs when they start playing, that how he deals with his excitement. Most other dogs don't mind and the ones that do mind tell him where to go. If it offends the family then yes teach him to go to his crate instead (not as punishment). Be prepared though that he may never really stop doing it.
As for marking...that is behaviour related. You will need to work on that with training.
Jen, good post. I agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page