Pack leader with chronic pain, could 10month old see this as weakness? & contin - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Pack leader with chronic pain, could 10month old see this as weakness? & contin

The past year I've had a car accident and have great deal of chronic pain, could this be why he always challenges me as he can sense pain as my weakness? I'm very assertive with him, he's not allowed on the furniture, he sits and stays until I tell him it's ok ex: for food, water, toys etc. he always has to work for everything and he is obedient most of the time but once a day will test me. Any advice??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Knighted Member

I'm not sure :c

I just wanted to say I hope you recover quickly.

I know when I'm in pain or upset Zeeva and Smokey don't really notice. From what I've read most people's dogs either don't notice owner pain or they notice it and exhibit 'care'.

But you may be right. I would continue to be firm.

How do you think your pup is 'testing' you?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

He will come over & nip me, he whines, he jumps up on me and bites me, doesn't ever puncture or anything just very nippy but does leave bruises sometimes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Knighted Member

Hmm..I don't think he's being 'testy'. Just annoying maybe?

Does he get exercise?

Has his behavior changed since you started experiencing the chronic pain? Did he begin exhibiting this behavior after your accident?

Sorry for the questions...I think you'll get better responses with a little more detail.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

That's ok, it is definitely annoying but he seems to have started this about 1 month & half ago since my boyfriend has started working away. He was always nippy as a pup but we always re-directed him to a toy and it had seemed to stop, but lately he started again and of course he is bigger now and i'm very petite and it's like he tries to over power me sometimes out of the blue, he jumps up and bites me, the more I say no & push him off he gets more wined up, eventually he will stop & listen to my commands. I have allot of chronic pain like I mentionned, I'm a very confident person and calm but stern with him but always wondered why he only reacts to me like this, thought maybe cause he sees that as a weakness, I don't know wha to do anymore!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Crowned Member

Has there, with all of this, been a decrease in his activity?

A 10 month old male German Shepherd is like a little boy. All energy, not a lot of compassion! You would most likely see a lot of this behavior regardless of your physical condition.

Suzanne Clothier | Relationship Centered Dog Training check out her articles on relationship centered training with your dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Just bizarre he only acts like this me & neither of the others of the litter has this behavior.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Crowned Member

What kind of daily exercise is he getting?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Elite Member

I would get a stick or an e collar. See how he likes that. I think there is no need for a dog to ever be biting people, so just let him know that is not acceptable.

Also try to invent games or activities that you can do.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
I would get a stick or an e collar. See how he likes that. I think there is no need for a dog to ever be biting people, so just let him know that is not acceptable.

Also try to invent games or activities that you can do.
Stick and ecollar????

I do think ecollars have a place in training with some dogs but I also believe that those who choose to use them do so for the right reason and not before learning all that goes with this training method. Ecollars can cause horrid issues if used incorrectly and without knowledge.
Definately not the be all end all of training methods available.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page