Barking at the window. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Question Barking at the window.

We got Sheba, a female short-haired gsd, from a kennel close by us but we were all unsure of where she came from as the man who sold her to us had no information on her previous owner, so we knew nothing about her. She seems a cleaver dog after having her for almost 2 years, she can sit, lay down, jump up at the back door to open it then goes out to 'do her buisness' she has only 'done her buisness' twice in the house from when everyone was out from early morning and the door was locked but thats fine. But what she always does, is jump up at the front window and bark at anyone who walks past. Sometimes when nobodies even there. We have tried just asking in a gentle voice for her to get down, then we resorted to shouting but she still didn't come down. Sometimes she will come down on her own but other times she needs a little push (nothing that will hurt her don't worry) The reason im asking is that it's getting very annoying especially when people are on the phone.Any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Crowned Member

My Sting was the same way. When he barked, I would go to the window - stand in front of the window, my back to him, even if I had to push him aside. That showed him that I "owned" the window space. I would take a look, then turn to him, and put my hand on the top of his nose to quiet him - so he could look, but he had to be quiet. I also restricted the window access when I was home, because he would do it, when I was on the phone or meal times, and yes, it was very annoying. So I used a gate (like a baby gate) - I put that in the kitchen, and at meal times or when I was in the kitchen - he would be behind the gate with me in the kitchen. That is what really helped. Now, he can calmly look out the window when people go by, he may still bark once (which is fine) when another dog goes by, but sometimes not at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017

Last edited by Mary Beth; 09-08-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page