Training A Jealous Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Training A Jealous Dog

My GSD always gets really jealous when I try to train my GSD/Boxer. When I try to train them together, my GSD pushes the pup out of the way. If I kennel him, he will sit and bark the entire time, and if I remove him from the room, he will chew on my door frames. Any tips to calm him while I do training with my pup? My GSD is ecstatic when we do training, and he responds excellently and loves it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Knighted Member

Remove him completely from the environment while you train the puppy. Crate him in the house and train the puppy in the yard. Give him a super fun chewie in his crate (I like frozen Kongs, stuffed with peanut butter). Ignore the noise he might make. If he is crated, he won't be able to chew on your door frames.
Sheilah
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

Do you exercise your GSD of all of its energy before you train your GSD/Boxer? I would do that first, if you haven't already. And i deal with jealousy in the household, i've learned that if i dont make a big deal out of it and ignore her, than slowly but surely it really becomes no big deal to her either.
Keep plugging away and dont give in, but be sure that your GSD is out of energy before you start to train your GSD/Boxer, and like what sit,stay said, give it something to do in the mean time and also be sure it cant hurt itself or become destructive. Try tying up the GSD outside with its kong or bone and work with your GSD/Boxer a distance away from your GSD outside, so it can see you guys, but cannot go to you. Just keep on ignoring the barking and carrying on and when your GSD is calm than throw a treat or praise, so in reality you are training both at the same time. You could also keep the sessions short so that when the GSD is quiet for a little while, you guys are done for that session and go play together. Hopefully this will help, if not im sure someone else will give another idea or training tip.

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. My only problem though is that the houses on my street are really close together, and I've already had animal control come out and say that my dog is being a nuisance. Because when he's in the kennel, he doesn't care if he has peanut butter, a turkey neck, or 5 different toys! He wails like a screaming child and its almost deafening. I never had to deal with it until I got my pup.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

Ranger does this if I take the my two girls outside to play/train. Wails, howls and bites at the door. I have had to crate him in the back bedroom to muffle the noise. He is getting better, we don't have to crate him anymore as long as someone is present inside to say "quiet", he knows what it means. I have my son or daughter sit with him and he wil listen now. He has also learned that his turn is next and I reverse who goes first as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Elite Member

Leash them one at a time or get them used to sitting while the other gets trained.

Keep it quick with the impatient dog and build up the time.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Banned

the problem isn't training the boxer mix the problem is your
GSD isn't kennel trained. can your GSD be in the house. if
so put the GSD in house and train the Boxer/mix away from
the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGSDT View Post
Thanks for the tips.

>>>>> My only problem though is that the houses on my street are really close together, and I've already had animal control come out and say that my dog is being a nuisance. Because when he's in the kennel, he doesn't care if he has peanut butter, a turkey neck, or 5 different toys! He wails like a screaming child and its almost deafening. <<<<<

I never had to deal with it until I got my pup.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word kennel. It's a crate. But I call it a kennel because their command is "Kennel Up". He is in a crate, and inside, when I do the training. And he is crate trained. That's the first thing I did when I got him because he was already six months old and still not house broken. He will be perfectly fine in the crate and the second I give my pup a command, my GSD just goes wild. And yes I do exercise them both, before training. We go for a short jog (the pup is only 4 months), then we stop at the park and play on the jungle gym, and play fetch and tug of war, and we just run around in the large fenced in area. By the time we get home they're both beat and just get water and lay down. But once I crate Titan (GSD) and start working with Axel (GSD/Boxer), Titan just goes crazy.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned

is the GSD vocal when he's crated and you're not training the boxer mix?
crate the GSD. take the Boxer mix and go somewhere to train. get
away from the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGSDT View Post
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word kennel. It's a crate. But I call it a kennel because their command is "Kennel Up". He is in a crate, and inside, when I do the training. And he is crate trained. That's the first thing I did when I got him because he was already six months old and still not house broken. He will be perfectly fine in the crate and the second I give my pup a command, my GSD just goes wild. And yes I do exercise them both, before training. We go for a short jog (the pup is only 4 months), then we stop at the park and play on the jungle gym, and play fetch and tug of war, and we just run around in the large fenced in area. By the time we get home they're both beat and just get water and lay down.

>>>>> But once I crate Titan (GSD) and start working with Axel (GSD/Boxer), Titan just goes crazy.<<<<<

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

No he's silent. Doesn't whine or bark.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page