Kira down / Stay / Here! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Kira down / Stay / Here!

* Disclaimer: I'm not a professional trainer, so go easy

Anyway, I gave Kira a SUPER TEST of her down / stay / HERE.

As you can see.. she's WAY out there!

I sat her in the far end of an open field. The walk around the open field is about a half mile around. Behind her, and behind me, were some stray cats. To her left were a couple dogs on leash.

I put her in a down / stay, and I walked a few times around the open field. I disappeared into a few bushes from time to time, and popped out at a different location in the park.

Rather than video the whole exercise, I only chose to video the last .45 seconds.

I would love to push her further, and am open to suggestions.

Feel free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Crowned Member

I think you and Kira are doing an awesome job!!

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

I think its great that you can do this, but I don't think its necessary to push it further. IMO there is to much distance between you guys and no way for you to get to her if another dog approaches her ready to fight. I would never want to see anything happen to her. Other then that her obedience is great, you should be proud

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I think its great that you can do this, but I don't think its necessary to push it further. IMO there is to much distance between you guys and no way for you to get to her if another dog approaches her ready to fight. I would never want to see anything happen to her. Other then that her obedience is great, you should be proud
Thanks

I was 100% certain, there was no chance of that happening. No dogs in this area, other than a couple on leash to the side.
Also, Kira's recall will allow me to call her off anything instantly. No chance she initiates anything either.
Believe me, if I didn't have full trust, I wouldn't have put that much distance between us.

I was told that I SHOULD push it further, and add distractions, and stimulations. If anything, for the exercise and fun of for her. She enjoys this stuff.

I've been working on downing her from a distance, and making her stay until I either get there or release her long distance.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

Bravo Team Kira!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page