Should I speak up?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Should I speak up??

I have noticed a 'trend' at our training club.

At the end of our last class, one person told me he was not coming back as some of the 'higher ups' in the club were not very friendly to him. I encouraged him to come back cause he was really a fun guy and LOVED his dog, which by the way is a Cane Corso.

Last night our instructor (AKC obedience class) was rude to a women and her pit bull, in front of the whole class. The instructor asked her if she ran her dog all day as she had never seen such a lazy dog and that she should look into getting her dog wormed This was not said in a joking way. This woman was SO embarrassed, and I happen to know that this girl is SO into this dog, I mean she gets the need for training and in fact would love to be a trainer herself some day. She works all the time with this dog and has also done pit bull rescues. It was just an off night for them. I spoke with her after class and she was angry and I don't know if she will be back.
This girl is also interested in the tracking group and I gave her the contact info. awhile back, they never got back with her...........

The thing in common with these 2 is that they both have 'aggressive breeds', AND that both people are young, and look 'different'- heavily tattooed and pierced. It makes be angry that they both don't feel welcome, they are the type we should be encouraging to train and both of them are really neat people, totally into their dogs!

Would you say something to the instructor? It is made very clear that if you have any complaints/concerns that you need to follow the proper chain of command, which means I have to talk to the instructor herself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Elite Member

Hmmm, I am kind of wrestling with the same thing myself. This summer I took Ranger to our local training club and my daughter (14 yo) was the trainer (although I was present at every class). My daughter is extremely shy and I thought that a dog training class would be good for her, but the instructor was VERY hard on her. She was constantly telling my daughter that she was doing things wrong in a very unpleasant way. My daughter was speaking very softly to Ranger and praising him in a very soft voice and the instructor kept yelling at her that Ranger couldn't hear her. The really weird thing is that Ranger was probably doing the best of any of the dogs in the class. The instructor apologized to me (not my daughter) after the first class so we gave it another try. After the third class without any change in this behavior, I gave up and encouraged dd to stay home. The instructor was livid when ai showed up without dd. She had arranged for some kids to be at that class for dd to relate to. It was nice of her, but it was too late. I find it really funny that she was so into posotive reinforcement for the dogs but felt my shy 14 yo daughter would do better with negative training, LOL.

It never occured to me that Ranger being a GSD could have been part of the problem. All the other people and dogs in the class liked him. And they were really nice people. It is a pity that the instructor wasn't more welcoming.

So, I guess I wouldn't say anything. I think some of these people are just very set in their ways and you are not going to change them.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Crowned Member

Personally I wouldn't say anything unless it was directed at me. If people came and complained to me I would encourage them to speak to the trainer directly and then work their way higher if needed

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Master Member

I am a different type of person. I will say something if I feel strongly about it. I would bring it up in a very calm manner and explain to the trainer how they are coming off. If they don't change their attitude and toward different people or dogs, I would find a new club, but that is me! I find it nuts to support people who act this way. If people don't hold them accountable for their bad treatment, they will never address it or change it.
I feel that all people and dogs should be treated with respect. Don't judge a book, or breed. If the trainer can't do that....they should not be working in a job with so many variations! Make the choice you are proud of at night, the one that makes you feel good. Allow the action or stand up for others. You could always make the statement if all animals and people are not treated the same, I will have to find another club, sometimes people don't know their issues are noticeable to others, I have found some want to correct it.
Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

In these situations I let my money speak for me. If I don't like the trainer, I will leave the class and not sign up (pay) for any more. If someone were to ask why, I would say why, but I guess if they have SO many clients they can afford to be rude to multiple people and drive them out, it's their business...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

A lot of dog people aren't really 'people' people and need a lot of coaching in that area. It's unfortunate, but as someone said above, our money will do the talking.

I was pleased to find that my recent certification with the Association of Professional Dog Trainers included a good amount of time helping us with how to work with people and be tactful and sensitive.

It would be helpful to include this in your final evaluation of the class if you are provided with one, but not all trainers welcome that. I personally would like to have this kind of feedback since it is helpful to me.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
A lot of dog people aren't really 'people' people and need a lot of coaching in that area. It's unfortunate, but as someone said above, our money will do the talking.

I was pleased to find that my recent certification with the Association of Professional Dog Trainers included a good amount of time helping us with how to work with people and be tactful and sensitive.

It would be helpful to include this in your final evaluation of the class if you are provided with one, but not all trainers welcome that. I personally would like to have this kind of feedback since it is helpful to me.
I very much agree with what Suka is saying. Maybe Im wrong but most trainers are training us the not dog knowledgeable not so much the dog.To Ranger's mom sounds like your 14 year old knows how to handle her dog. I was cringing as I read your post. Its hard enough to get a shy kid to want to participate but being treated roughly and publicly getting reprimanded would have been really difficult for your daughter or her class. If the trainer wanted you to come back and invited other youth then she needed to call prior to class.I work with kids in group settings and there are some kids I can tease or joke with and give feedback that way and other kids if there needs to be feedback I do it privately.

Farnin I wa thinking that that young woman is doing everything we want dog owners to do, it's a shame when stereotypes of people and breeds get in the way of that owner and their dog getting their training needs met. Im not sure if that trainer would listen to verbal feedback but a slow down in customers often works wonders.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12

Last edited by Daisy&Lucky's Mom; 08-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:24 PM

I would speak up. I figure its a type of bullying. Just because they are different or more soft spoken doesn't mean they won't work they're butt off to correctly train their dog. They are there for a reason.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Knighted Member

Sounds like this trainer doesn't like certain breeds, which I guess is her prerogative but if owners are trying to be responsible and attend her class with their 'problem breeds', she should be able to act professionally. If these people didn't train their dogs at all, that would be something else for her to complain about.

Anyway to answer the question, I would say something even if it didn't involve me personally. It's not right for her to target certain people in the class, just because she doesn't like their dogs. I am sure she doesn't have any problem with taking their money.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Crowned Member

What you could do is to type an anonymous letter addressed to the instructor's of that facility, not put a return address on the front of your envelope, and mail it from your town!
They'd never know WHO sent it! Maybe it was just a spectator watching the class!!!
Also, go to page 21 (below), print it off and put it with the letter! Lauren Langman has an article called "What Makes A Really Good Instructor" published in Clean Run Magazine. Quote: "The pathway to success is to make sure that people have a good session, not necessarily that you give them false truths, but more that you are honest and inspiring. Start each lesson with a positive affirmation or inspiring quote."
http://pages.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cl...anrun_0313.pdf

There are other "Good Instructor" articles in this magazine but you have to sign up to be able to see them.
Just a thought! Maybe they'd get the hint!!
Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page