Supervised Seperation?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Supervised Seperation?!

Hi all !

Well I have been trying to get Celia's CGC for quite some time now. We had some issue, but those are now long gone except for one: The supervised separation part! Whenever I hand the leash to anyone she yelps and screams and tries her best to dart towards me. Its better if I say "Stay" though, i'm sure she would fail the test only because of this part! Any suggestions on getting over this hump?

Celia Belle Mickel
Born:6/1/11
Breed:GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Crowned Member

how is this handled? Do you hand the leash and walk away or do you hand the leash and THEY walk away. A lot of times, the dogs handle SS better when the leash is handed over and they walk away with the person. If you hand the leash and then walk away, a lot of dogs will freak out. Start small.

Have the person touch the leash while you are still holding it. Treat, person removes their hand. Repeat several times.

Next step, Hand the leash over and stay there. Treat for calm, take leash back. Repeat several times.

third step. Hand leash over, step a couple steps away, person holding the leash, treats for calm (Extremely high value treat), return, take leash back. repeat several times. Slowly increased the distance you're away, add in time.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Crowned Member

One of the easiest ways for me, is to teach my dog an out of site stay. I like that method because I can use it for other things. So when I do CGC's I just put my dog in a down stay and walk off. It has always worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
One of the easiest ways for me, is to teach my dog an out of site stay. I like that method because I can use it for other things. So when I do CGC's I just put my dog in a down stay and walk off. It has always worked for me.

works too if your dog isn't one to spaz when they cant find you or see you.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM

I feel your pain..........

Last week we were practicing for the test in my CGC class.

I had to hand my dog off to a complete stranger (a man visiting the class for the 1st time, so I hadn't ever seen him before either) and walk away out of sight.

We have practiced this before, using the instructor, her husband and various class members, and my dog did ok. My dog didn't like it, but would have passed.

With the new guy, my dog flipped out, howled and lunged the entire time.......part of me gets it. The reality is that in 'real life' the chances of me handing her off to a stranger are slim to none- BUT, she has to learn to do this to pass the CGC and for 3 WHOLE MINUTES.............

We have been working on this all week, problem is that I don't have too many complete strangers around to practice with! I have been using the 'out of sight' down and it does seem to help.

The only other problem we have with the test is that we have to have our dog come while on a 20 ft. line. My dog has a near perfect recall off leash and HATES a long line. It gets tangled in her legs when she runs and then she tries to get it untangled...........I have to be very careful to lay the line just so.....

We test on tomorrow night 8/25, so we'll see how it goes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone! I may just take her over to the pet store I work at and see. She does it well at the park (I have her tied to somthing, and i make sure that nobody is around to take my dog! xD) last time we practiced at the pet store, it did not do well though...ill take all of your suggestions and test them out. so far, the "out of sight stay" works the best.

Celia Belle Mickel
Born:6/1/11
Breed:GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page