Bite work at night or low light - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bite work at night or low light

Just wondering if anyone trains in no or low light with their dog? Perhaps those doing PP? With the sun going down earlier now and being a little late on getting my dogs last exercise routine in for the day, I noticed Zoeys accuracy doesn't seem to waiver much in the dark and I don't use a toy on the line. There were a couple times she snapped wildly, but she still managed to catch it. Curious if PP dogs are trained to work in different light conditions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Crowned Member

I do bite work in low light sometimes. Really the only difference for me, is on longer sends or long bites, I present early so the dog has a better chance of targeting what I want it to target (more for my safety than the dog needing it). Other than that it's all the same. Actually today we did building searches where I was hiding in a dark room.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Elite Member

My club ends practice when it starts getting dark. We do bitework last, and the dogs are already put into stressful situations, darkness adds to the stress, creates higher chance of helper/handler to mis-read/screw up, and also doesn't set the dog up for success...at least that's how I interpret it. Obviously if you are training for police work, PP, etc....you'll want success in darkness, but I would assume there would be set times and scenarios specifically dealing with and working with the dark. If I were you I wouldn't be training bitework, especially on my own, in the dark. IMHO. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'm not doing bite work, I was just amazed my dog with no toy attached could still catch the line on the flirt pole at night. Ive done it before with snow on the ground but that kind of back lights the area. Just got me thinking about those who do train for PP, Ipo etc.. And how they deal with it. We are considering schutzhund training for Ranger, we'll see how it goes with the new trainer.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Knighted Member

Here in FL we don't have a choice, unless we want to pause training half the year. We do a lot of night time training. Most of our training grounds have big lights up, but there's some pretty dark spots.

I've found that it actually helps Storm. She's adjusts much better now to different situations (rain, wind, cold, hot, dark, light) and it doesn't bother her anymore. When we just did early mornings on the same day every week.... she started to learn the routine and didn't have the same enthusiasm when it was changed.

Also, for home protection training, that's done day and night at the dog's home.

I think it's good, especially for any sort of protection dog. Especially since that's when most crime happens. I wouldn't want my dog stunned by the lack of lighting when I need him most.

(And with what I said... keep in mind... our only trials here occur in end of fall, winter, and very beginning spring- too hot.... so if you skip the whole spring and summer training, you won't be trailing. That's a whole year that you get pushed back! Such a bummer. FL is not a friendly place for training.)

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)

Last edited by TrickyShepherd; 08-25-2013 at 01:20 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Crowned Member

I think over half the trials my team competed in this summer were at night. Fields had lights but it is still pretty dark.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I think over half the trials my team competed in this summer were at night. Fields had lights but it is still pretty dark.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
In our area, they just won't hold them at all during summer. Even at night we're running high humidity and heat. A dog will get heat exhaustion in no time.

It's such a downer for anyone training here in this state. It's just not made for working outside with animals. Back when I worked with the horses... we had the same issue.

Which reminds me.... Cooler weather is almost here!!! Few more months... (hopefully)

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Crowned Member

I train every week at night, bc that's when I can train lol. Some dogs get more defensive at night, some don't change much. I have a night vision scope and I have watched my dogs outside during a new moon where I couldn't see my hand in front of my face and I'm impressed how little they seem affected.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page