Dog training school opinions?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Dog training school opinions?!

Hi All!
So I am looking to go to dog training school within the next year. I have really gotten involved in training within the last couple years and I would love to further educate myself! I am currently looking at The Tom Rose school here in Missouri about 20 min from my house or The Michael Ellis School in California! I have heard good things about both schools. My concerns are that I have heard that The Tom Rose school's methods can be more forceful to puppies at times and I have seen alot of puppies with pinch collars on at a pretty young age. I realize that you only have a certain time to get them to the point they are needed to pass, Other than that I have heard ALOT of good things about them as well. The Michael Ellis school in California, I have heard nothing but good things about it! My only problem is it so far away from me. I would be gone for roughly 2 months and I would have to pay for hotels/food/travel. Does anyone have any experiences with either schools?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Crowned Member

I don't have experience with either but I do have 2 of Michael Ellis videos. I think he's amazing and so are his dogs. I get huge insecurities watching his dog fixated on him for 20 mins or so while he's talking in the videos lol

Have you seen him do an engagement tug game with his dog? It's on utube, he's amazing.

In the videos there are a lot of scenes filmed at his school so I saw how he trains the (trainers? Dog owners?).

I'd love it if I can pick his brain for a few months but I'm not a trainer. If I was though i'd try to make sure i got the chance to.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

Tom rose, if your looking to make a career out of it. I went to michaels obedience intensive for two weeks. Great class, he's a great guy. But def aimed toward sports. You will get more out of Tom rose for the general public and even protection if you want to go that route. Forrest, who works with Michael now, is a graduate of TR. I also know of some very successful trainers that were graduates. I wish I could go to TR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayForbes View Post
Hi All!
So I am looking to go to dog training school within the next year. I have really gotten involved in training within the last couple years and I would love to further educate myself! I am currently looking at The Tom Rose school here in Missouri about 20 min from my house or The Michael Ellis School in California! I have heard good things about both schools. My concerns are that I have heard that The Tom Rose school's methods can be more forceful to puppies at times and I have seen alot of puppies with pinch collars on at a pretty young age. I realize that you only have a certain time to get them to the point they are needed to pass, Other than that I have heard ALOT of good things about them as well. The Michael Ellis school in California, I have heard nothing but good things about it! My only problem is it so far away from me. I would be gone for roughly 2 months and I would have to pay for hotels/food/travel. Does anyone have any experiences with either schools?? Thanks!
I thought the same thing. And I train my own dogs via ME method. But when getting out into the real world to train regular everyday people. Your going to use more corrections, earlier on than say someone who is experienced or does sports. Most people are impatient, they want results quickly and they usually call u at the end of their rope. For some reason, many do not grasp the marker system very easily. I don't know why, I've worked with several people on this. But they don't. Of course I get a few that do well, but majority do not grasp it. Their timing sucks, thy forget what to say, they get frustrated etc. Find people who are graduates of Tom rose and currently working as a trainer for the public and talk to them about it. I know one on FB is controlled chaos. Good luck.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I am looking to make a career out of it! I know a few people that have gone there and I like the results that the dogs they have trained have had. My dogs trainer actually went to Michael Ellis and knows Forrest aswell. He said that he went and learned but also kind of did his own thing to get the results he wanted from the dog! But I agree people dont want to pay for months and months of training and they want quick results. Thanks for your advice and help! Keep it coming!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks! I am looking to make a career out of it! I know a few people that have gone there and I like the results that the dogs they have trained have had. My dogs trainer actually went to Michael Ellis and knows Forrest aswell. He said that he went and learned but also kind of did his own thing to get the results he wanted from the dog! But I agree people dont want to pay for months and months of training and they want quick results. Thanks for your advice and help! Keep it coming!
Yah from what I understand Forrest became friends with the owner and lived on site with him. He definitely got more out of it than the average student. He does do michaels style in sport. But he does say, for pet dogs and problem dogs that he used to work with, he goes back to more corrections sooner.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Crowned Member

I would maybe invest in seminars with some of the better competitive obedience trainers(ME included) and look at their methods before investing in TR. The ones competing who hold seminars are worth my time and money to get a gist of how they are training.

I personally don't think you need that type(TRS) of investment to be a pet dog trainer. It's more hands on experience(and dealing with the handler is the MAJOR part of dog training).

In my area, most pet dog trainers are competitors and then teach in whatever venue they compete in. Those are the trainers that attract clients. They also attend seminars often in between their trials, very busy people!

Having a certificate is great, though I would never train with certain 'certified' trainers.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

I'm on the Tom Rose boat. I would LOVE to go through their Master Trainer program if I could afford it. I did go through the Animal Behavior College course and though it's a pretty basic course, I learned a large amount and how to apply skills better and more effectively. Tom Rose is on my extreme wish list.

If you're curious about first hand experience with Tom Rose school, get in touch with Cheryl Goede's husband Kevin. Controlled Khaos Dog Training. Cheryl runs the German Shepherd Dog Community pages on FB.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I asked for more technical information from the school then I'm thinking about setting up a time to go look at the facilities! Im thinking of getting certified there and then possibly going to some Michael Ellis classes afterwards! I am also looking to shadow/Apprentice with some trainers and go from there! Thanks for all of the advice/opinions! Feel free to chime in if you haven't!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys! I asked for more technical information from the school then I'm thinking about setting up a time to go look at the facilities! Im thinking of getting certified there and then possibly going to some Michael Ellis classes afterwards! I am also looking to shadow/Apprentice with some trainers and go from there! Thanks for all of the advice/opinions! Feel free to chime in if you haven't!

Hi there! I'm am actually going to visit the Tom Rose school on September 18th, hoping to attend in July! I feel you get more out of TRS them Michael ellis, I feel that Micheal's coarses would be great AFTER getting experience in a school like Tom Rose. If you want, I can get in touch after the visit, and let you know exactly how it went (unless you plan on visiting before me!) I also suggest you check out "Controlled Chaos Dog Training" the head training graduated from TRS and is VERY successful!

EDIT:
KZoppa, we were thinking the EXACT same thing! XD! I even contacted Kevin to hear about his experience. He was VERY satisfied with the coarse, just not the "dorm room Drama".

Celia Belle Mickel
Born:6/1/11
Breed:GSD

Last edited by maureen_mickel; 08-25-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page