Help with the Prong collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Help with the Prong collar

Hi everyone.... so I know that the prong collar needs to be place behind the ears right underneath the neck ect... but when I put the prong on Penny it quickly slides down I feel that if I take out another link that the prong will be too tight, I already have a hard time putting it on (no I am not putting it over the head I am doing it correctly) and feel that if there was another link gone it would be WAY to tight... is this how this is suppose to be? Its not super loose and it doesn't slide too far down her neck but it doesnt stay where Ive seen it's suppose to be.... HELP!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Master Member

If by taking out another prong you can barely reconnect the collar, it is probably too tight. It is okay if it slides down a little. You just don't want is too loose. Also, you have to know how to deliver a correction properly. There should never be constant tension on the collar/lease. You correct with a sharp pop and then the leash should go slack some. The hardness of the pop/correction depends on the dog's handler hardness and the behavior you are correcting. For forging on walks, you would use a lighter correction, whereas if your dog started to show inappropriate aggression, should might use a harder pop/correction.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Elite Member

Get a 2 inch leather collar and put it on the dog and then place the prong above this on the neck so it stays in place. You can have 2 leashes as well and only use prong for corrections. Also if the dog does not respond to the prong you can hold back with the normal collar and not injure the dog's neck.

Personally I prefer a simple 2 inch collar on it's own set tightly on the dogs neck under it's chin. Gives total control of the head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Im not using the collar so much for walking (yes I am using it in the walks but I dont need it she heels perfectly) I am using it for corrections for her regular training... she wont come anymore she wont sits when I tell her to she wont platz when I tell her too she wont stay anymore and she use to be at the top of her training classes a few months ago and now you can barely tell we did basic and advanced training, so I am using the prong to give a stronger correction so hopefully she will get back on her game... I just sent an email to our trainer asking her if she could do a session with Penny and me and actually show me exactly how I am suppose to utilize this training tool so hopefully I can get in to see her soon.

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Master Member

How did you lay the foundation for obedience. Did you use food or a toy and stimulate her prey drive? If you used either, how was her drive for the food or toy? I would go back to one or the other instead of focusing on corrections. If you used food, cut back on her food and make sure she is very hungry and use food that is very reinforcing to her.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Master Member

Also, how would you rate yourself at delivering a proper correction? For example, do you give little nagging corrections, or a clear, quick, sharp pop on the prong and let it go slack?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Master Member

If her obedience has fallen apart all of a sudden, it's probably better to look into the reasons behind it before deciding she "just won't listen" and correcting her. Has anything changed about your training environment recently? Have you changed your reward schedule recently? Does she always fail to comply, or just in certain contexts?

I could be wrong about this, but I think introducing corrections at this point might make her dislike the training. I don't know your dog but it almost sounds like something is setting her up to fail and you need to find out what that is, whether it's lack of motivation or something medical or something in her environment making it too difficult to focus.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Is it normal for Penny to be so itchy when having the prong collar on? Not sure if she just isn't use to it yet or what?

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
Is it normal for Penny to be so itchy when having the prong collar on? Not sure if she just isn't use to it yet or what?
Yes, it's common for dog's to scratch at the collar because it's an unfamiliar sensation. You could try a larger size prong if you think it's uncomfortable. My dog never stopped scratching at her collars, prong or flat. The only one she likes is her cozy martingale.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 AM

I like to use the collar as a "negative reinforcer". For example when I say "Sit" I add pressure, then when she sit I take away pressure and then treat. This would be creating a "Double Reinforcer (lol thats what I call it!)" increasing the chances that she will sit x2. Eventually, I slowly wean out the pressure.I do give it a pop once in awhile, though I mostly just add pressure. I use the prong of coarse after laying down a foundation with rewards.

Celia Belle Mickel
Born:6/1/11
Breed:GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page