1st day of obedience school total shock - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

1st day of obedience school total shock

My17week Gsd Puppy had his 1st day of basic obedience , 1st was proper leash walking and sit on command , all was good until the dog handler asked to let her try and see how he responds . A few minutes went by and all of the sudden my dog took 2 bites at her thigh then tried to bite her neck as she tried to regain control of situation . She was very calm and handled the situation in a very well fashion , by pinning his prong collar with her foot and taking control . i never thought my dog had that in him and to be so aggressive toward another person ,my conclusion is maybe my dog was not use to her being the Alpha and did not like her commands , either way i respect the trainer and after all is said and done Fokai my dog is learning daily ad is doing great so far with home lessons till his next week class , Has anyone had there Gsd attack there dog trainer . thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Knighted Member

Why on earth are you using a prong collar on a 4 month old puppy, and why on earth would you let a "trainer" step on the leash connected to the prong and hold it down to apply intense pressure to a sensitive puppy's neck? That sounds abusive, IMO. It's also counterproductive... pain and fear in a puppy's mind is damaging, no matter the genetics in the dog.

4 month old puppies should be getting pure positive reinforcement to ensure they know what is expected of them and what commands mean before they are old enough to endure negative reinforcement.

Find a new trainer, ditch the prong collar until the puppy is older.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Crowned Member

So many things wrong here... not sure where to begin.

Get the prong off your puppy.

Forget the whole alpha over your dog way of thinking.

And what happened to make him attempt to bite? What happened right before he attempted to bite?

How much socialization have you done to this point? Has he ever done anything like this before to anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
Why on earth are you using a prong collar on a 4 month old puppy, and why on earth would you let a "trainer" step on the leash connected to the prong and hold it down to apply intense pressure to a sensitive puppy's neck? That sounds abusive, IMO. It's also counterproductive... pain and fear in a puppy's mind is damaging, no matter the genetics in the dog.

4 month old puppies should be getting pure positive reinforcement to ensure they know what is expected of them and what commands mean before they are old enough to endure negative reinforcement.

Find a new trainer, ditch the prong collar until the puppy is older.

Im real new to this , i followed what the trainer recommended , i also called 5 different trainers in the states and they as well use a prong collar for training at 17 weeks puppies so i assume its normal . when i lived in Germany i seen 1st hand harder training on a Gsd pup , i believe she was calm and did not hurt him , but to make my puppy understand right from wrong . he is really big for a 17 week shepherd 40lbs tall and masculine body lines . i will bringhim back again for the duration of class and see what happens as we move forward , may i say the female trainer is around 5'4 100lbs give or take . with a great client list and success. thank you for your feed back .
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Knighted Member

My conclusion is that your puppy got a bad vibe from your trainer. And I agree with the others that it is a bit early for prong use. When the trainer stepped on the prong, did your pup yelp? Do you think he's injured?

If you ever decide to change trainers, definitely sit in on a class and observe the training methods before committing to class.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
So many things wrong here... not sure where to begin.

Get the prong off your puppy.

Forget the whole alpha over your dog way of thinking.

And what happened to make him attempt to bite? What happened right before he attempted to bite?

How much socialization have you done to this point? Has he ever done anything like this before to anyone?

nothing just normal walking and sit commands , and he never bite no one before , he is well socialized with kids and people , the trainer is very nice and praised him but out of no where he just triggered and went to bite i was totally shocked as i said. thanks
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Crowned Member

It is not normal. The puppy is just a baby. I've got a 16 week old puppy right now and there is absolutely no reason to put that on a puppy that age. I do use one with my 5 year old, so it's not like I'm against them. They work well IF used correctly. It's not being correctly used right now.

You need to show your puppy the right way to do something before you can start correcting the wrong behavior. Positive only at this age. Clicker training works well. Their brains are like sponges now and they pick up things very quickly.

I can't believe a respected trainer or trainers would think it's ok to put a prong on a puppy this young. Mind boggling almost.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etorres View Post
nothing just normal walking and sit commands , and he never bite no one before , he is well socialized with kids and people , the trainer is very nice and praised him but out of no where he just triggered and went to bite i was totally shocked as i said. thanks
It's hard to analyze something like this without actually seeing it firsthand, but something went wrong here to make such a young puppy feel the need to react like that. Something needs to change. I'd start with the trainer and the training style.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etorres View Post
Im real new to this , i followed what the trainer recommended , i also called 5 different trainers in the states and they as well use a prong collar for training at 17 weeks puppies so i assume its normal . when i lived in Germany i seen 1st hand harder training on a Gsd pup , i believe she was calm and did not hurt him , but to make my puppy understand right from wrong . he is really big for a 17 week shepherd 40lbs tall and masculine body lines . i will bringhim back again for the duration of class and see what happens as we move forward , may i say the female trainer is around 5'4 100lbs give or take . with a great client list and success. thank you for your feed back .
There are better, healthier more successful ways to train a puppy than punishment with the prong... positive reinforcement builds trust, understanding and knowledge/communication between handler and dog. Punishment with the prong on such a young, easily influenced mind can create fear and mistrust.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Crowned Member

Out of curiosity... was this trainer "alpha rolling" or was there discussion of "alpha rolling" your pup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page