Old fashioned training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Old fashioned training

My brother in law has a rottie and a dobbie: amazing dogs. Very loyal, great with kids, good with other dogs (my two will try to fight them and they walk away or ignore their aggression), very obedient. They're kennel dogs and he uses the alpha roll as well as compulsion training. He used water to condition his dobbie so much that if you take the dobbie near the pool or near a hose he may bite. It really makes me wonder...I've only seen my own somewhat poorly trained dogs by me and my positive reinforcement training and his well trained dogs with his older training methods. I was always afraid of the older training methods making a dog obedient because he she is scared of the owner there by hurting the bond between owner and dog. But his two LOVE LOVE LOVE him and the family; even the toddler and their 3 year old.

What am I missing? Enlighten me about the negativity toward this type of trainer? Isn't this the type of training used by police dogs? They're supposed to be very well trained dogs too, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

There are effective trainers in all styles. ... and then there are good trainers.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

I really can't endorse your brother-in-laws method of compulsion training especially with using the water. Also with the alpha roll over - that can backfire. Positive training does not mean all sweetness and treats either rather I consider it a way of teaching the dog that it is in his best interests to please me. I also use a combination of positive and natural dog training which uses the dog's prey drive to help me establish leadership and achieve cooperation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

If I have a child who goes to the pool without my permission, and I take said child to the pool, hold her head under water repeatedly until near drowning, and when it is all over she NEVER goes near water again..... it was effective. But was it RIGHT?

(and yes, I know dogs are not children.... but I think you get the point)
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
They're kennel dogs and he uses the alpha roll as well as compulsion training. He used water to condition his dobbie so much that if you take the dobbie near the pool or near a hose he may bite.
Any training that brings out that type of aggression/fear in any dogs should be a HUGE heads up to training I want no part of. Ever.

Some of the best trainers/dogs in the world are only taught by using positive methods. I agree with what gagsd stated. It's not the method it's the trainer...and if I'm having trouble in training I need to up my learning and methods. There's a reason Ive been taking classes for over 10 years

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 PM

If you use enough force you can get a dog to do pretty much anything. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. If you're not getting results with positive reinforcement perhaps it's time to reexamine your methods and techniques.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Knighted Member

Some good points have already been made here, but I think a lot of trainers or regular dog owners who are against 'cookie training' are under the impression that somehow you are 'bargaining' with the dog or that the dog should do it because 'they said so'. I don't know your brother, but I think he would see a bigger difference in his dog if he employed more positivity in his training with the dogs.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't want my dog to fear me because of training methods. I lean more towards positive, but I will give mild(very mild) corrections...like a loud no, but I don't get much more harsh then that.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

Fear and love, love, love, DON'T go hand in hand! I don't doubt you when you say they love him and the family.....I'm not understanding something?....is it possible they don't fear him.....Nah I just can't comprehend this.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Fear and love, love, love, DON'T go hand in hand! I don't doubt you when you say they love him and the family.....I'm not understanding something?....is it possible they don't fear him.....Nah I just can't comprehend this.
Abused kids often still love their parents.

Dogs are capable of conflicted emotions too. Not quite as complicated in the layering, maybe, but love and fear are pretty primal.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page