CGC question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

CGC question

I was wondering about something. The part where the CGC requires you to step outside for 3 minutes while you leave your dog alone with someone.

Lulu is one of those dogs that if you leave her in the new place in a strange place she may not be very comfortable with me leaving, but if it's happened once and then happens again second time she's always fine.

Does that mean that she shouldn't pass her CGC?

Would you test her anyway?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC

Last edited by Narny; 08-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Some CGC's offer a practice class before the test is run. That way she would be comfortable with being left at that location. Otherwise how she behaves and the opinion of the tester will decide if she will pass. The person holding the dog is allowed to engage the dog now during the separation part. I have failed dogs that whined, barked, lunged and acted awful, but not those that got a little restless or made a little noise a few times during the 3 minutes. I would try and at least you will know what more you have to work on.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Master Member

How bad is she? Different testers have different testing criteria. Some are more forgiving than others. The test is about $10-$15. Can you spare it if she doesn't pass? I;d give it a try.

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Okay the first time she will yelp and cry and call for me. Not completely horrible but definitely not passable. The second time she may whine a tiny tiny bit and be kind of restless but that's it. The third time I stepped out of the room she was ignoring me like I didn't even matter.

When I told a different woman the situation she said that she shouldn't pass the CGC.

(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Master Member

it needs to be consistent. no whining, minimal restlessness. i think she she should keep working on that before you try taking the test.

Kaleef Black Bear Bugatti

CGC, Advanced Obedience, Intermediate Air Scent Tracking,
650+ trail miles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Miles softly whined and watched the door but didn't panic. I put Dante in a down/stay so he was good. Had I just walked off and left him, he would of been a handful. Both times I was told I could give commands before I left. Khaleesi will probably need to be in a down as well as she doesn't like me walking off with out her.

Sarah
Alighieri von Schraderhaus, (HOT) IPO3 AD -German Shepherd 4/8/2010
Miles, CGC - Border collie, Rescue 10/31/2006
Khaleesi von Feuer, (HOT) BH AD- German Shepherd 2/3/2013
Traveler- BC/ACD 2/3/2014
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 AM

This is the final part of the test that i need to work on. I'm having the same issue! Any good suggestions for countering this?

Celia Belle Mickel
Born:6/1/11
Breed:GSD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 AM
Crowned Member

Shasta did very well during her tests. Tests I've assisted on, the dogs always handled it better when the tester took the leash and walked away with the dog instead of the owner walking away from the dog. Perhaps your tester will do that. Really depends on the tester honestly.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page