What the heck does this mean? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

What the heck does this mean?

Karly is spending 2 weeks with a trainer. The trainer is not one to constantly update me. I am fine with this as I would rather her spend her time doing what I am paying her to do rather than spend all her time on the phone. I have texted her a couple of times this week and both times she gave very short answers. The last text I just asked how Karly is doing. Her answer was that she is doing really good and is connecting concepts. My question....what exactly does that mean? I would prefer more of an explanation but I don't want to bug her to death. Can anyone give me specific examples of what you would consider "connecting concepts"? Thanks!

Jenny
Karly - GSD 10/16/12
Alta Tollhaus Farrell "Briggs" - GSD 03/24/13
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM

I would assume that she is starting to understanding the training and put everything together.

However, you are paying for a service and part of that service is to keep you updated on progress. It is your dog and your money so you should not feel like you are bugging her and if the trainer acts like you are then I would question why.

I have done a couple of board and trains and with that comes daily updates via phone calls, emails, texts, videos etc. However the client prefers. Trusting someone with your dog for two weeks is a big leap of faith and IMO should come with full transparency.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I would assume that she is starting to understanding the training and put everything together.

However, you are paying for a service and part of that service is to keep you updated on progress. It is your dog and your money so you should not feel like you are bugging her and if the trainer acts like you are then I would question why.

I have done a couple of board and trains and with that comes daily updates via phone calls, emails, texts, videos etc. However the client prefers. Trusting someone with your dog for two weeks is a big leap of faith and IMO should come with full transparency.

Thank you for your reply. I'm new to this and wasn't sure if I should expect her to be giving me updates. Of course I would prefer hourly updates! I didn't know if it was normal or not. I just don't want to be a pain in the butt. She has other dogs boarding with her along with her own. She told me she spends all day training them. I don't know if mentioning names is allowed but a lot of people on here would know her.

Jenny
Karly - GSD 10/16/12
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

I'm glad your dog is doing well! I would just ask if she is meeting the trainers goals at this point and time. If so, then I am sure you and the trainer discussed what is expected at end of two week period and therefore you know what to expect at that time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I'm glad your dog is doing well! I would just ask if she is meeting the trainers goals at this point and time. If so, then I am sure you and the trainer discussed what is expected at end of two week period and therefore you know what to expect at that time.

Thank you very much! That sounds like a great question. Yes, we did discuss what is expected at the end of the 2 weeks. We also discussed that some dogs take longer to get to where we want Karly to be. I guess I'm a bit worried that she will need to stay longer. I sure miss my pup!

Jenny
Karly - GSD 10/16/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page