Training with prong collar.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Training with prong collar..

I recently rescued a 2yr old female Shepherd. Shes a sweetheart but im having a little trouble with getting her to listen. I have an 8yr old male who went through professional training (with prong collar) and he walks great on leash and is very well behaved. Ive tried to stop the female from bad habits like jumping and pulling on leash with the prong collar. She doesn't like it and she whines when it pinches. I know that shepherds are known for their whining and my male whined for his first few sessions with the collar as a pup. I don't want to hurt her but she needs to learn! She could just be dramatic but im just seeking advice to see if i should continue with the prong or try a different method.. Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM

If you stop now she's going to understand that if she whines about stuff she doesn't like...she'll get her way. Check out some youtube videos on prong training (try looking for non puppy demonstrations--I don't have any links handy but I have seen at least 1 good video where the trainer is demonstrating with a grown up dog as opposed to a puppy). Good luck!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm planning on doing some different exercises for the jumping. Like putting on the collar and having some family members come in, and correct her when she tries to jump. Shes already doing much better with the walking with collar and today was her first day working on it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Knighted Member

My dogs have never yelped from the prong collar. Are you doing a quick "pop" of pull?
At training I learned a balanced way to "pop", I was being wimpy, so the trainer encouraged to to try harder, but not to the point where the dog yelps. But I'm not there to see if your dog is being dramatic or not.

Are you placing the collar high on the neck, below the ears? I remember seeing Leerburg instructions on how to place the prong, they may also have videos for using them.

Other than the prong, you could try a spray bottle, at least that is what I do for unwanted cat behavior. Sorry no other ideas, our dog grew out of this quickly.

If your dog is jumping on you, say when you come home, we just learned to get down low, to her level, or she's allowed on the couch, so we direct her to the couch where we could all sit comfortably and get a happy hello.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 PM

I have used most of the Lew Burke method on all my dogs with fantastic results, I had Lexie heeling off the lead within about 15 minutes or so of ever having a leash on her. This was done in two lessons, about 7 minutes or so each. This may sound harsh but it's not. You start off by tying them to a post or a stake where they can't get tangled up, with about a 3' lead. You walk away out of her sight but where you can see her. At first she will pull and fight, just remain calm, this will only last a little bit, 30 seconds or so at most has been my experience from what i can remember. After she calms down let her stay there another minute or so and then go to her with great praise. She has no reason to tie you to any of what has just happened to her as far as the prong collar goes. Now you untie her lead and you say heel while smacking your left leg and you take off. Sharp short corrections, by that I mean fast snaps without hurting her, you just want to get her attention. Every time she pulls away you smack your leg saying heel while at the same time giving her a correction. As soon as she comes to your side you give her a treat along with lavish praise. Lesson 2 starts off heeling on the lead doing the same as above. About 3/4 of the way through the second lesson you take the prong collar off and hold it in your right hand where it is hanging down where you can shake and rattle it. You tell her to heel while smaking your left leg as you start to walk, if she hesitates you rattle the collar, this will bring her to your side. Lexies results may be hard to duplicate, you may need a few more lead time lessons. I can't remember how long it took me to teach my male Dex,but I know for sure Lexie put him to shame, it seems like it was a few weeks or so with Dex, and I thought he was the smartest dog I had ever seen. It seems like Burke said it could take like 3 weeks or so to have them heeling off the lead. I have been extremely lucky. Once they have the concept down you can use a shock collar to tweak them.

Last edited by Deno; 08-16-2013 at 11:32 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 AM

PLEASE don't use the prong collar!! It could cause SERIOUS injuries. I would recommend a Gentle Leader or Easy Walk. I have one of each and found that my GSD does a lot better with the Easy Walk. Both of these products are top of the line and help to stop the dog from pulling.

The biggest problem with prong collars is that dogs have an "opposition reflex." Meaning, when you (or they) pull against their collar, they instinctively pull back. Even if it means injuring themselves. They can't help it or stop it. Kane would flat out choke himself into a gagging for until we start using the Easy Walk harness.

The Gentle Leader and Easy Walk keep the products away from the opposition reflex area and away from the areas of the throat most likely to be injured with prong collars and even regular collars.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura811 View Post
I'm planning on doing some different exercises for the jumping. Like putting on the collar and having some family members come in, and correct her when she tries to jump. Shes already doing much better with the walking with collar and today was her first day working on it!

When it comes to that, a collar and leash usually aren't even necessary. When she jumps, have whoever she joked on to look up and pull up their arms. Ignore the dog until the dog calms down and then reward with attention. If she jumps again because of excitement from the attention, repeat. It usually takes approximately a week, but it can be resolved without the use of a prong collar or leash or anything like that.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Crowned Member

Give her and the pinch collar a chance.....patience and calm will be best in long run.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 AM

I agree with cliff

As for the prong collar causing serious damage, well, choke collars can cause worse injuries..Used correctly and not left on without supervision, prong collars are very effective.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 AM

Gentle leaders have caused more damage than prongs I would bet. Again I think all tools are great for different dogs, different issues, but my dogs have prongs on and my chiropractor vet advised against head collars of any sort due to risk of serious neck damage.

Give the prong a bit more time. Once they know prong means walk, fun, training they are eager to put it on. Jingle a prong at my house you will get mugged by dogs. :-)

Sarah
Alighieri von Schraderhaus, (HOT) IPO3 AD -German Shepherd 4/8/2010
Miles, CGC - Border collie, Rescue 10/31/2006
Khaleesi von Feuer, (HOT) BH AD- German Shepherd 2/3/2013
Traveler- BC/ACD 2/3/2014

Last edited by MilesNY; 08-17-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page