My dog goes crazy when exiting the car. Why? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

My dog goes crazy when exiting the car. Why?

So my gsd is perfectly normal in the car until he feels it stop. Then he starts whining and barking, same thing with boats, we brought him on to my girlfriends dads pontoon and when we were docking it he starts barking like mad. But then as soon as he's off, boom back to normal. How can I correct this and what does it mean?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 PM

He's excited anticipating what's to come and has momentarily lost his mind, plus that outburst is an easy/quick way to release pent-up energy. A two-part cure comes to mind - first, make sure he's being adequately exercised, and second, he doesn't get to leave the car or boat until he's settled down, and preferably has laid down (the ultimate confession of ease). It may take 15 minutes or more for him to reach this state, but he will get there, assuming you have the patience to fix this problem. Dogs can get very excited, but they can't keep up that level of agitation for very long and they'll burn out after a bit. Once you employ this a few times, he'll probably stop doing it (assuming his energy's being released elsewhere).

"What's his name?"

"It doesn't matter."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
He's excited anticipating what's to come and has momentarily lost his mind, plus that outburst is an easy/quick way to release pent-up energy. A two-part cure comes to mind - first, make sure he's being adequately exercised, and second, he doesn't get to leave the car or boat until he's settled down, and preferably has laid down (the ultimate confession of ease). It may take 15 minutes or more for him to reach this state, but he will get there, assuming you have the patience to fix this problem. Dogs can get very excited, but they can't keep up that level of agitation for very long and they'll burn out after a bit. Once you employ this a few times, he'll probably stop doing it (assuming his energy's being released elsewhere).
Excellent info trotter, I will have to try that next time. Oh yea my pup gets plenty of exercise. I take him to the river almost every day to swim and he gets one nice long walk everyday. Plus random fetching his stick and what not. But he does seem to lose his mind when stopped in a vehicle.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:36 PM

I didn't have any kids, but I'd liken the "wait him out" treatment to a 2 yr old's tantrum - very strong at first and seeming to last forever, but after a few minutes, the little kid visibly starts having to work up the angst and can't maintain it, eventually giving up. Once the dog learns he'll have to wait to exit the car/boat, etc., and that he'll definitely get to be with his people once he's stopped, he'll change his behavior. After that, consistency is your friend - if you let him out when he's just a "little" excited, just this once, you may start to undo his progress. That goes for other people with whom he might travel/boat.

"What's his name?"

"It doesn't matter."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page