Problem with 2 commands - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Problem with 2 commands

1.After giving my dog the command "Come here" he sits infront of me but when i want him to get closer he gets a lil closer and avoids with his head. any idea how do i make him to "want" to come closer without avoiding and teach him to get his head close to my leg?
2.Any idea how do i teach my dog to hold on the ball/tug while i give him the commands Sit&Down?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

*UP*
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

When he turns his head, that is a calming signal, so it means he is confused and worried -he probably is picking up on your tone. You can try picturing in your mind that you want him to sit close to you then give the command the first time - keep the picture in your mind. I read that dogs learn by pictures - I know it sounds far fetched, but I have tried it with my Sting and it does work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:27 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How have you trained these commands? Have you tried luring with food, marking when he's in the exact position you want and then letting him have the food?

I'm a little confused about the second question - you're tugging with him and you want him to sit or down on cue while still holding onto the tug? And if he has a ball in his mouth and you tell him sit or down and he drops the ball first? I'm not sure why this would be a problem, but maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
When he turns his head, that is a calming signal, so it means he is confused and worried -he probably is picking up on your tone. You can try picturing in your mind that you want him to sit close to you then give the command the first time - keep the picture in your mind. I read that dogs learn by pictures - I know it sounds far fetched, but I have tried it with my Sting and it does work.
Ermm, could you gimme the article that you read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
How have you trained these commands? Have you tried luring with food, marking when he's in the exact position you want and then letting him have the food?

I'm a little confused about the second question - you're tugging with him and you want him to sit or down on cue while still holding onto the tug? And if he has a ball in his mouth and you tell him sit or down and he drops the ball first? I'm not sure why this would be a problem, but maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.
1.My dog reacts to toys more than food.
2.You did not misunderstood, its exactly what i meant.

Last edited by R-a-m-b-o; 08-04-2013 at 06:17 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

It is a book, Learning Their Language by Marta Williams.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

Couple of ideas. To get your dog to come closer, try using the toy and walk backwards. So - when he starts to come towards you, you walk backwards - hold the toy in front or where you want him to sit - he should follow you- then when he is in the position you want - give him the toy. Or you can work on a second command - so he knows to sit close to you. But teach this one separately. Pat your knee when he comes up to you - give him the toy. Then after he learns to come to your knee when you pat it - then add the sit. Same with the holding of the tug. Work just on teaching hold - give him the tug to hold - praise - then ask for the give. Praise again. Increase how long he should hold it - then work with him holding it while he is following you - then progress to the full retrieve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page