Your Biggest Training Success - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Your Biggest Training Success

I think almost everyone has had a dog that has made you regret the decision to get them. As the title says what has been the biggest thing you have accomplished training wise with your dog.

For me I would have to say it's with my current foster who is a 5 year old GSD. I don't know what happened with him before I got him, but he doesn't like having his neck touched and has bitten several people who have simply tried to connect a leash to his collar. He has a very strong personality and I am guessing someone has tried to correct this by being very heavy handed with him. It is still a work in progress, but he is getting a little better. He won't be ready to leave for while though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Crowned Member

Karlo ran all 6 blinds tonight(for the first time), clean!
LOL, it has been a work in progress, he likes to cheat. So as of now, this is it for me!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Elite Member

Pongu's semi-functional!

I took him out today to do some basic drills in a city park, which is the first session we've done since coming back from vacation, and he gave me the best moving Down he's EVER done. Actually hit the deck in mid-step like a Malinois. I was amazed.

Later I tried to get him to climb up a kids' slide (just the ladder and "moving bridge" part, not the actual slide) and whaddaya know, he did it, even though he'd never so much as touched that piece of playground equipment before.

Given that he's a complete fearful basketcase, every time he does anything like a normal dog I'm thrilled. In all seriousness, I view his ongoing rehabilitation and the fact that he even HAS a sport career as my biggest triumphs.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Crowned Member

I was told by some people that I'd never title Aiden, and he'll be going for his IPO3 in a few weeks.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Knighted Member

For Duke it was getting him as far as we did before having to pull him for health reasons. The day I was able to send him out at a hidden sleeve was awesome. Lots of hard work and a very bumpy road! I'm proud of what he was able to do, even when others just put him down.

Storm... it was last week's training day when not only did she rock in OB, but later that night I was also able to send her out at the decoy and heard the impact as she flew a circle in the air and was driven perfectly.... It's amazing when you finally see all that work start to take shape. I'm finally seeing the IPO dog I fought tooth and nail to have.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

Definitely Nikon's Schutzhund 1 title (which was also high SchH1 and high OB, I think I was only a point off from high in trial and beating out my own TD who did the helperwork on my dog). If that doesn't count because it's really three phases, then I would say his swimmer's turn in flyball. We get lots of comments on that and now I have people come to me for help training their dog's turns and buying the equipment I make for it. With Pan I would say the retrieve in Schutzhund, I used an unconventional method and it worked great, can't wait to see him in trial soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page