Anyone Else Banned from Spectating? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Anyone Else Banned from Spectating?

I was told not to come and watch my wife and ranger in their rally class. The trainer said I was too much of a distraction for ranger and he loses focus. I already limit my interaction with him, all fun and food comes from DW. I don't have a problem with it, I want them to do well, just curious if anyone else has similar issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

If you ever go to a trial to support her, Ranger needs to learn that you are to be ignored.
I've seen dogs at trials scent their handler's companion or family members and get so distracted they don't perform well. I'd rather use this scenario as a training 'aid' than forbid a family members presence during training.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

I usually went to classes alone with Russ. We also did a rally course. I brought my daughter to watch & he was so distracted by her being on the sidelines. He was constantly breaking focus to look her way & started to lunge towards her. I told the trainer it was a bad idea to bring her, she was the opposite & said he needed to work through those distractions. She is famous for pulling spectators from the sidelines & putting them to work, having us walk around them, etc. LOL

Last edited by Courtney; 07-29-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

It's a rather common problem, actually! When I was doing AKC obedience, I had to ban my husband from the show grounds because my dog would get distracted when she saw him and forget what she was supposed to be doing. But I do think it's something that should be proofed during training, at some point.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We are working on it at home now. She works with him and I sit on the steps or swing or pick weeds out of the garden. Once he ignores me, I'll bring out one of my kids. Do you think this will help?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Elite Member

Yep, Tempest and I can't go to Havoc's Nosework class. The beginnng Nosework was right before Hav's advanced class so we thought cool, we'll go together and I can take Temps to her class and hang with her during Hav's class. Nope, Havoc would have none of that. He got frantic during Temp's runs and couldn't focus in his class.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

One night we were doing a practice rally course. Took Rusty off leash. We were doing good & then we passed a little girl eating a ice cream cone on the side. He broke off & tried to lick her ice cream. I could have died He was a little over a year.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
One night we were doing a practice rally course. Took Rusty off leash. We were doing good & then we passed a little girl eating a ice cream cone on the side. He broke off & tried to lick her ice cream. I could have died He was a little over a year.
that made my eyes water!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, there were jokes a plenty for the rest of the season. He thought that little detour was fine. lol
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Knighted Member

I have the same issue with herding, if my husband comes anywhere near the pen Ollie stops what he's doing and runs over to him. So for now he's not allowed to stand next to the corral.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page