Is it to early to start training my GSD? she just turned 8 weeks old. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Is it to early to start training my GSD? she just turned 8 weeks old.

Hey everyone! i just brought home a new partner in crime and her name is Sam. I've never had my own GSD before, let alone a pet. She just turned 8 weeks old and i was wondering if now would be a good time to start training her the basic commands such as sit, stay, come etc. Or is it still to early?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 AM
Knighted Member

No it's not too early to start training your puppy. You can always start at home and enroll her in classes if you would like to. Some people opt for having a trainer come to the house as well to work with them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Training

No. 8 weeks is not to early at all. Training starts as soon as you lay your hands on the puppy. It's repetition and you bring consistent. Teach the sit, down and stay for now. Make him sit while you put his feed bowl down. This shows his place in the pack. As soon as you put it down, release him. Don't expect him to stay to long but increase it by seconds every week. May I also suggest go to leerburg.com and order the tape " your puppy, 8 weeks to 8 months". I have trained 2 German shepherds by this and they are great, ovidient dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Also. For the sit, if you don't know. Don't just say sit, as he doesn't know this yet. Say it and hold a treat right over the top of his head, this will cause him to automatically sit down to get it. As soon as his butt hits the ground say good sit and yes!!! Get excited with your voice also. Repeat this and he will have it in a day
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

It's not too early, but don't expect too much of an attention span. Keep the training sessions short - like 10 minutes each. And don't get discouraged if your puppy is easily distracted at first.

Start with the basics. Have you ever used or heard of a clicker or clicker training? I'd first introduce the clicker and then start working on commands. Sit first and go from there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 AM

No. 8 weeks is not to early at all. Training starts as soon as you lay your hands on the puppy. It's repetition and you bring consistent. Teach the sit, down and stay for now. Make him sit while you put his feed bowl down. This shows his place in the pack. As soon as you put it down, release him. Don't expect him to stay to long but increase it by seconds every week. May I also suggest go to leerburg.com and order the tape " your puppy, 8 weeks to 8 months". I have trained 2 German shepherds by this and they are great, ovidient dogs
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

where can i get a clicker? Do they sell them at pet stores like petsmart or pet co?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

The pet section in my local Walmart sells clickers. You should be able to find one without an issue. I bet both Petco and Petsmart sell them.

I started training Russ when I brought him home at 8 weeks. I remember being amazed at how quickly he caught on to basic commands! Short sessions are good. We started our first puppy class when he was 12 weeks. It was so much fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page