Dog behavior - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Dog behavior

I have my gsd at home along with a Maltese and a wiener dog. My gsd tends to want to maintain her dominance and bites them on the neck. She's 3 months old and is teething. I'm not sure if she's just playing and it's more rough than what they are use to because she is bigger than they are or if she's just biting them. How could I correct this behavior? I have tried to stand in between her and the two dogs but she just finds ways to avoid me. I've held her collar in extreme cases where she just won't stop.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Elite Member

My female done this to my male dog since i got her. It also escalated into her humping him and generally dominating him. I would run towards her and stop when she let go. If not I'd give her a slap of a flexi stick. I stopped it in the garden but when the dogs were off leash out side she would still do it. She would stalk him and pin him be the neck.

I needed a correction which would work from a distance. I started hitting her with a stone if she was going for him and now just need to say off and she will stop. I also strengthened up the male and encouraged him to look after himself so now he does growl if she is trying anything. I used the stone method with her going after swans too and it did work too.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Master Member

One part of the problem might be energy level. Exercise your pup so that it doesn't need to play with the other dogs. I have a Lab, and when Minka was a puppy she would either be out with me exercising, in her kennel, or in the house sleeping. If she started to pester the Lab then I knew she needed to be exercised so outside we would go for 10 or 15 minutes. When she came back in, she was content to lay around instead of getting into trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HIC, CD, IPO 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Knighted Member

A 3-month old needs lots of exercise. Everytime the over excited behavior starts - outside for a game of chase or fetch or tug - not as a reward but as training to relax in the house. The exercise periods don't need to be long - 15 minutes can wear out a pup. Remember - a tired puppy is a good puppy. Don't allow the pup to dominate the smaller dogs like chewing on the neck, etc as it could grow as the pup gets stronger and he could hurt one without really meaning to. Whenever he starts to chew on the other's neck or bite, separate them with the pup on a leash.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page