How do I train a dog to shake his paw? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How do I train a dog to shake his paw?

I'm trying to teach Lobo to shake with his paw but he has no idea what I'm talking about. I got treats had him sit he did do one paw but reaction time wasn't good enough. He doesn't know shaw a paw or give me a paw. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM

I taught Jaxx how to shake by saying paw then lifting his paw up and shaking his paw for him and then giving him a treat. I did it about 5 - 10 times and he caught on. Hope I helped

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Eden
Jaxx~ 11/13/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog"~ Unknown
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Knighted Member

For both my dogs I taught them by first saying, "Shake a Paw" and then I would take their paw and shake it. Immediately I praised like crazy and gave a treat. I repeated this again, waiting a second for them to give me their paw, if they didn't I would take their paw, shake it, and again praise like crazy and reward. It only took a few times before they were both giving me their paw after I said the words and held out my open hand.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Knighted Member

Have you tried touching the paw and clicking when he lifts it? After you get the lift and click (and treat of course), then you can name it. Raina went from shake hands to teaching herself high five the same evening. Now she does both.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM

Be careful what you wish for!!! I taught Diesel to shake / give paw. Now if he wants something and you dont give it to him quick enough he club's you with his big a$$ paw! LOL He will go through a whole series of commands trying to get what he wants or figure out what will get him that treat!

But yes, I do the same as the others. I get focus on treat say give me paw, take it shake it, give treat, repeat. Once he has that down with one, then I start switching which one I want and associate it with this right and left...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx's mom View Post
I taught Jaxx how to shake by saying paw then lifting his paw up and shaking his paw for him and then giving him a treat. I did it about 5 - 10 times and he caught on. Hope I helped

I did this as well unintentionally. We got Gunther when it was rainy so I would have to wipe off his paws and I would say "paw" every time I needed to hold one to wipe off . Another for "high five" he was laying down upside down and I just started high fiving him while saying "high five!" (jokingly) and did that a couple times and then he started to high five me back
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel and Lace View Post
Be careful what you wish for!!! I taught Diesel to shake / give paw. Now if he wants something and you dont give it to him quick enough he club's you with his big a$$ paw! LOL He will go through a whole series of commands trying to get what he wants or figure out what will get him that treat!
Oh yeah, I forgot about those bruises from being clubbed with the big foot of hers while she was learning to aim for my hand when shaking it.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx's mom View Post

@Jaxx's mom

I taught him he knows it now! i have been rewarding him like crazy and repeated it like 5-10 times. although it took like 10 times or more to get it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Master Member

I didn't have to teach Elly May...she just started shaking hands one day.

Whoever said you can't buy love musta never owned a dog !
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 AM
Crowned Member

Dax learned it pretty quick. We're having trouble with "other paw" lol. Patience and persistence really. And figure out what clicks for your dog.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page