Submissive GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Submissive GSD

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for a bit of help. I just got a German Shepherd mix and he is very hyper and submissive. I've had him for 3 days and immediately started clicker training. For some reason when we "charge" the clicker he does good but when he turns and gets distracted and I click he doesn't respond.

So do I need to keep charging the clicker or is he just lazy or doesn't care? Can I charge the clicker when he is on a leash and do I need to be completely still or can I walk around and charge?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just becoming impatient and impatience leads to anger. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:05 AM
Master Member

I would let him settle in for a couple of weeks or months before serious training let him bond with you and get use to his new home. Keep things light, upbeat, and fun. I would engage with him through play -nothing serious right now.

You should work on being the best thing in the world always fun, encouraging, and upbeat to start your relationship off right. Remember your home is new to him, you are new to him, your family ect he is still getting use to things. I would begin marker training like I would with any pup low low distractions and gradually build when my pup is ready. Good luck and happy training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Nova View Post

Sorry for all the questions I'm just becoming impatient and impatience leads to anger. Thanks in advance.
I think that is your issue not the pup's. Good news though! You can work on this as well!

Enzo v TeMar
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:58 AM

Mrs P is right..I would ease back on the clicker training for now. BOND BOND BOND. Your dog isn't responding to you yet bc he hasn't really had time to bond with you yet. Give it a month at least of bonding and playing-walks and exercise, and time to acclimate to you and your home. I'm not saying you shouldn't work on basic commands in this time, but make it fun with LOTS of rewards. I always think hand-feeding is an awesome way to bond quickly.

RIP Malachi 'Kai' My Midnite Rider ♡
I may not be consistent with anything else, but I'm consistent w my dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Banned

let him settle in and then find a trainer. traing and socializing takes
time. don't expect to much in the begining. i like training in short
sessions. each session last 5 to 10 minutes. i conduct many sessions
during the course of a day.

Last edited by doggiedad; 07-14-2013 at 07:39 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 AM

No reason to wait to train, it's a fantastic way to build a bond and good communication with a new dog. And by setting up expectations right from the start you won't have to "fix" problem behaviors later.

Clearly he isn't truly understanding what the click means. I usually don't just charge the clicker but just start using it as part of training so that when I say a cue and they do it, they get a Click, Yes! and Reinforcement. Pretty soon they learn that the click means reinforcement is coming.

Start off with easy things and take your time. Short, fun sessions. It may take him a little longer to figure it out especially if he's never had any formal training before. Getting into a class will probably be very beneficial for both of you.

Enjoy him and good luck!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all the replies. I am going to click/treat when ever he does something I like, hopefully he listens. He just has lots of energy and wants to play a lot and I wanted him to listen and calm down.

Another question, is it true that dogs are more attentive when they're tired/fatigued?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Master Member

I have found that Sabo needs to be in-between hyper and tired. When he was little, the best training for "sit" "get it" and "wait" was his rope toy...want the toy? SIT! toss the toy--at the exact moment when he was thinking "I'm gonna run and grab it" say "GET IT!" and he would get it...as he turned to bring it back, the exact moment of the turn, "Sabo! COME!"...he's not perfect yet, but he gets it when he wants to!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfunhouse View Post
I have found that Sabo needs to be in-between hyper and tired.
Yup. Burn a little energy off with physical activity so that he can focus but if wait until tired then you will lose enthusiasm and attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfunhouse View Post
When he was little, the best training for "sit" "get it" and "wait" was his rope toy...want the toy? SIT! toss the toy--at the exact moment when he was thinking "I'm gonna run and grab it" say "GET IT!" and he would get it...as he turned to bring it back, the exact moment of the turn, "Sabo! COME!"...he's not perfect yet, but he gets it when he wants to!
Capturing behaviors is the best way to make them stronger! When dogs have the opportunity to make the choice for themselves and then get reinforced for it, they are more likely to repeat those behaviors and not chose other less desirable ones.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, my biggest thing is that I want him to listen, but I never thought about the fact that he doesn't fully trust me
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Nova View Post
Thanks everyone, my biggest thing is that I want him to listen, but I never thought about the fact that he doesn't fully trust me

If you're going to train, do it when he's hungry.

I don't know how old he is, but assuming he's a relatively young pup, I agree with the posters that suggested to just play with him and get him to see that you're the most fun and interesting thing in his life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page