Door Dashing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Door Dashing

Penny does really well at the front door, she will stay or sit if I tell her to and comes out when I tell her too, she sometimes tries to dart inside the door when I bring her in no matter how short of a time she has been out there... Also having an issue with the back door as the backdoor leads to the backyard and she tries to race out of the door to get her toys that are in a box on the deck. I have been trying to curb her of this but she is very stubborn. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

Training wait may help. If I tell my dog to wait he will sit beside me until I release him. We practiced this in training using doors.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

Practice practice practice

I would have the dog leashed and have them sit in front of the door, then reach for the doorknob and if they moved I would move back to a neutral position with my hands at my sides every time. They quickly learned the only way the door opened was if they stayed in the position and waited.

Then comes the harder part, they have to stay sitting even with the door open. Again, I would stand in front of them and block them at first physically with my body if they tried to dash. Moving away when they were quiet and allowing them to go through the door and giving the release word, I use "let's go."

Obviously I didn't press too hard if it was a urgent potty break but otherwise it was something we practiced often as it is a very good skill to have. It might never be absolutely perfect and some dogs do fail from time to time but be firm and it becomes second nature for them to freeze and only go through the door when the release word is given regardless of which outside door it is.

Practice on inside doors too, I don't require it 24/7 but if I'm carrying something heavy all I have to do is a "ah" noise and they'll back off the door and let me through first. It's saved my nose many times from hitting the floor lol

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
Training wait may help. If I tell my dog to wait he will sit beside me until I release him. We practiced this in training using doors.
I have to do this with my dog. If I just open the door she just runs out. Every time, I ask for a sit and wait. If she starts to move I say "AHH!" and bump/block her with my knee. When she sits back down I say "wait" and she sits and looks at me until I tell her to 'go pee'. Then she's off like a shot and I'm left eating her dust. lol
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

She sits and stays at the front door no problem will wait I can go out get the mail ect then tell her "ok" in a happy voice and she comes nicely, just walks out she doesnt dash or anything if someone comes to the front door (most people know to come to the back) she doesnt bother with that door at all will be calm but the back door is a different story, she will run outside and go behind visitors and try to greet them before they are even in the house! I have (since I brought her home) did the same thing sit/stay block her path wait till she is calm ect. I give the OK and she runs out like a bat out of you know what lol, sometimes she wont stay she will try madly to get past me... Im thinking maybe take her box of outdoor toys and put them out front and start using the backdoor more often? When I take her on walks we use the front door and we usually use either door when we come home, so maybe switching it up leaving from the backdoor? Im not sure lol

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012

Last edited by mandiah89; 07-04-2013 at 02:52 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

training training training

I put Jax in a sit and I expect her to sit until I am thru the door and release her. If her butt moves, the door shuts and I wait her out. Her reward for holding her sit is the door opens and she gets to go thru it.

Definitely use both doors! Dogs do not generalize so she learns the front door means sit but has no idea the back door does too. I read once 20 different times in 20 different places to teach them something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page