E-Collars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to EimaiLykos
E-Collars

My 9 month old GSD, Murphy, just went through 7 weeks of E-Collar training. The trainer said he was working at a 2-2.5 level stimulus without distractions, and a 3.5-4 with distractions. Well I take him home and start practicing with him. The TriTronics G3 has 10 levels of stimulus, starting with a "half." (.5, 1, 1.5, 2, etc). Working in a field without distractions, I start with .5. I asked for a heel, giving a momentary "bump." Murphy screamed and tucked tail like I'd just clubbed him or something. I checked the remote and the collar for any issues; there weren't any. I even tested the collar on my leg through a few levels. Everything was fine. I tried again with him, and got the same reaction. He's clearly received the training, because he'll obey the commands with and without stimulus. I saw them demonstrate what they'd taught him on a level 2 stimulus. Does anyone know why he's being such a pantywaist about it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Contact the trainer and ask him/her why this reaction? Something doesn't seem right.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Crowned Member

Something doesn't seem right at all. I have the same collar and on .5 I felt nothing at all. I have not taken the collar past 1.5 on my dog and that was during protection. Usually it's on 1.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

do you give your dog a command and then shock him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EimaiLykos View Post
My 9 month old GSD, Murphy, just went through 7 weeks of E-Collar training. The trainer said he was working at a 2-2.5 level stimulus without distractions, and a 3.5-4 with distractions. Well I take him home and start practicing with him. The TriTronics G3 has 10 levels of stimulus, starting with a "half." (.5, 1, 1.5, 2, etc).

>>>>> Working in a field without distractions, I start with .5. I asked for a heel, giving a momentary "bump."<<<<<

Murphy screamed and tucked tail like I'd just clubbed him or something. I checked the remote and the collar for any issues; there weren't any. I even tested the collar on my leg through a few levels. Everything was fine. I tried again with him, and got the same reaction. He's clearly received the training, because he'll obey the commands with and without stimulus. I saw them demonstrate what they'd taught him on a level 2 stimulus. Does anyone know why he's being such a pantywaist about it?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

Does the TriTinocs collar only have shock, no vibrate?

I put two of my dogs in residency training last spring. For my GSD it was an Epic Fail. Only created issues. For my hound (Weimaraner), it was a godsend. But even she only ever needs the vibrate. And she is *crazy* wayward, she gets on a scent and she's gone... Without the collar. Even then, if I had raised her from a pup, I can't imagine I would need the collar.

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Crowned Member

Take dog and collar back to trainer and get to bottom of situation....you will get so much different advice here it may do more harm than good. Take him back....could be something you are doing or missing...or a lot of things ....go back!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Elite Member

Agree, go back to the trainer. You will get a million speculations here, but if you paid for the training you should be able to ask them all the questions you want and get the right answers because they are the ones who have worked with your dog and the collar

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I spoke to the trainer. He refunded me, but only with the stipulation that I give the collar back (they purchase one for you). Murphy will not listen at all. He refuses to "stay" because he's so afraid to be far from me (having been shocked into a recall so many times in training). They ruined him. He cries if I even give him a stern look, but won't listen for treat/clicker training. He's got absolutely no ball drive whatsoever. What do I do? I've trained much bigger, angrier dogs. I'm at a loss with this one. I don't know how to handle his complete lack of motivation.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Elite Member

I know I give this advice a lot when it comes to ecollars, but pm LouCastle....he's very knowledgeable to Ecollars and may be able to give you some insight into your problems and if you aren't by him maybe he can recommend someone near you. So sorry, this sounds terrible....did you leave him with the trainer alone to train?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

It was a 7 week board and train. I'm pregnant and dealing with health issues, so it was the best option at the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page