Do You Think A Dog Can Be "Too Trained"? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Do You Think A Dog Can Be "Too Trained"?

I wanted some opinions on whether some of you up here think a dog can be 'too trained'? That probably sounds crazy to some people,but what I am referring to is people who ARE ALWAYS telling their dog(s) what to do,and the dogs almost become robotic to the point where they don't ever have down time. The dog ALWAY has to focus on the owner even when they are just at home. I have a neighbor that has a Rottweiler/Dutch Shepherd mix who ALWAYS has to focus on him. I asked him if he was training for something in particular and the man said no, he just wants to have the ultimate control over his dogs.He even says that he make the dogs maintain a focused heel on a 3-4 mile walk. I haven't seen this personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Elite Member

IMO, it could be that he just wants his dog to be under control while outside...dogs without training can be a huge liability if out of control.

It could be his relationship inside the house is less formal and more relaxed?
Idk.?

And, yes, as far as the "robotic" comment...I have seen dogs comply out of fear. Don't know / can't say if this is the situation here.

Last edited by KatsMuse; 08-11-2012 at 06:39 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I would hope it's less formal inside. I am all for training,but I don't make my dogs give me focus to the point where they can't even look away from me. I also don't what kind of issues his dog may have had either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

My son and I had this conversation just today. I showed him a video someone posted on here of a GSD that was trained very well. My son said that he doesn't want our dogs trained that well...I kinda looked at him and asked why? He says because then they can't be dogs. I'd have to agree with him. I personally don't think that dogs should be controlled to the point that they become afraid, robotic, or lose themselves. I think that would be a sad life for most dogsAn obedient dog is nice to have, but they are dogs and should be allowed to play, act goofy, and snuggle w/their owners

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

A focused heel on such a long walk is ridiculous, in my opinion.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Banned

I personally have zero issues with it provided that it is not fear-based.

I have one dog that absolutely loves obedience work. Would do it all dang day if I would. Bottom line, he likes it and I like it. It has nothing to do with fear, he simply enjoys the work and the treats he earns doing it.

I'm sure this person you're speaking of relaxes at home. He is just working hard to have a very well trained dog. I applaud that. I wish we had more owners that work like he seems to.

Now, OTOH, I know someone who uses fear for motivation and I do not like that. The dog must comply or will be yelled at -- not cool and not the way to do it.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
My son and I had this conversation just today. I showed him a video someone posted on here of a GSD that was trained very well. My son said that he doesn't want our dogs trained that well...I kinda looked at him and asked why? He says because then they can't be dogs. I'd have to agree with him. I personally don't think that dogs should be controlled to the point that they become afraid, robotic, or lose themselves. I think that would be a sad life for most dogsAn obedient dog is nice to have, but they are dogs and should be allowed to play, act goofy, and snuggle w/their owners
Honestly I think this is on the verge of humanizing the dog just a wee too much.

"Afraid" = fear, which isn't acceptable. "Robotic" = ? I don't know. "Lose themselves?" I have no idea what that means. A dog loses himself??

But really, why can't an obedient dog also play, act goofy and snuggle? They can! I hope you weren't referring to my stupid vid of the doggy pushups. (left field, yes.) Although I called that "torture," believe me, my dog was loving it.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Not really. I have seen some dogs that people thought were really well trained (robotic) but the dog was really just shut down. To me, that's not well trained. Well trained is when they enjoy being a dog but know how to make good choices and behave in their environment according to their owner's expectations.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Not really. I have seen some dogs that people thought were really well trained (robotic) but the dog was really just shut down. To me, that's not well trained. Well trained is when they enjoy being a dog but know how to make good choices and behave in their environment according to their owner's expectations.
I think that's a great example of "too trained." One that I had not realized for YEARS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I think that's a great example of "too trained." One that I had not realized for YEARS!
Well now you have me curious! What do you folks mean by "robotic"?

When I'm working with the one boy I referred to before, his eyes are bright, he is excited, he is watching me, his tail wags... he seems, to me, to enjoy what we are doing.

What would you classify as "robotic" behavior? Just "going thru the motions" type of thing? (No zeal, excitement, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page