Trainers and Obedience - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Trainers and Obedience

I am looking for a trainer that will help me succeed in Obedience with Gunner, just the basic level 1 (for now. I am not sure what I want as an end goal, maybe further ourselves in more obedience then into agility or another sport). I have only done a obedience class and passed with my old shepherd Hero which was almost 10 years ago, and I am unable to access that trainer again (who I believe was very successful/knowledgeable trainer located in Minnesota).

I understand that each breed is different and each dog is different, but would one seek a trainer who works with all sorts of breeds or mainly with just shepherds?

~ Jesi
Gunner - GSD (Adopted 6/29/12) - Registered Therapy Dog Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hero - GSD ( Awaiting at the bridge for me )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

It would help if you would tell us where you are located.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 PM

I love Canine Companions traienrs. The best!! They do in home and in facility. Check them for your area on the net. Great with GS dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

I am going to guess Lexington or somewhere in KY?

How to Choose a Dog Trainer - Association of Pet Dog Trainers

Finding Help

I think are good articles. I believe both sites have a search for trainer function.

I like to go and watch classes to see if they would be something I would like. I want something that is motivational, and I like a class that will have some fun in it too, because I get bored easily. But seeing the class and how they train matters more to me than breed experience.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
It would help if you would tell us where you are located.
Lexington, Kentucky.

Jean- Yes, I agree with you on sitting in and watching the trainer. I did that to one trainer and they looked good on paper but not so much in person.

~ Jesi
Gunner - GSD (Adopted 6/29/12) - Registered Therapy Dog Inc.

Hero - GSD ( Awaiting at the bridge for me )
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Knighted Member

Contact Charlie Starr at Drache Feld German Shepherds. Great trainer and I work with him weekly. He is located in Winchester, KY so not very far from you. Charlie works with all breeds (used to own an all-breed training club), but we mostly have GSDs at training with an occasional lab or shelter mix.

Ash

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page