Freeshaping - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Kev

Freeshaping

So far its fun and interesting
Currently im teaching perch and had a couple of questions.
For freeshaping, do you train with duration or number of correct reps?
Also im using his bowl as a perch item and I can only get one foot on the bowl. After awhile he offers other behaviors such as down. Should I go back a step and do nose touches?

Millview's Bosco 12/15/11 Winter Pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM

It is normal for dogs to offer other behaviors while learning something new. This is all part of the experimentation part for the dog. For a young puppy, I keep the rate of reinforcement high. So for the perch, I start out clicking any interaction with the perch. Gradually, I increase my criteria such as one foot on. Keep increasing the criteria at a rate that is appropriate for your dog. Some give up quickly while others keep trying different behaviors. If you have one foot on, you are very close to both feet. If you find your dog starting to quit or become bored, go back a small step. This is assuming your dog has a full understanding of freeshaping (which it sounds like he does). Pretty soon, you will be able to move on to the next step of rear end movement and thats when they fun really starts!

One thing I am not sure I understand is your question of going back a step and doing nose touches. Do you mean nose touches to the bowl? Or your hand? Or?

I also love to do "get in the box" freeshaping with all my new puppies. It really teaches them how to interact with their environment and think.

Hope this helps
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Kev

Yes nose touches to the bowl
thank you!

Millview's Bosco 12/15/11 Winter Pup

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Ah OK! I don't necessarily do nose touches on the bowl since they need to use their feet and not their nose. I might briefly click sniffing or interaction but I move away from using the nose or head pretty quickly. You already have a foot so I would not step that far backwards at all! Keep rewarding the one foot and then start to increase your criteria for two feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page