SNIFF, don't BITE! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
jae
Master Member

SNIFF, don't BITE!

Hello!

I would love to begin nosework and sniffing with my 5 month old male, especially for my time constrained and/or rainy days. Just wondering how I can get him to sniff at the cups, rather than bite them? I had a trainer who came by say to start with a treat underneath the first 5 times, then switch to some thing else... I don't think it's working. Maybe he is just too excited, should this happen after walks? After meal time?

Maye better that I use something like cannabis or a birch wood instead? Something that I know he won't bite at, but will grab his nose's attention.

Similarly, he will bite at spoons or whatever that have peanut butter on it, so I threw it on my finger, which I think I kind of taught him to lick, but I am not sure he understood it. I put it back on the spoon and he started gnawing on it.

Edit:
I'd say this goes for picking up random objects, as well. Would love to to have him carry around the paper, or my socks, or what ever... but he ends up ravaging whatever I hand him. So I abandon those thoughts for the time being.
Also, he isn't 100% obedient yet, but he does have [sit, wait, okay, come, down, leave it] down fairly well. Heel is an ever frustrating training.

Last edited by jae; 07-31-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Knighted Member

I'm in the second level of a Nosework class. We started with a teat in a box (always the same box) and the dog would eat it and receive another treat at the same place from the person's hand. This worked up to hiding the treat outside the box in various locations and then pairing the treat with a scent (in Nosework you start with birch). He can now find just the birch and will paw at it- my trainer said it was okay to paw at it once, but not to claw at in repeatedly because when we do vehicle searches, people are not going to want their vehicles clawed. So to stop this behavior, she has us reward at the initial find- as soon as he indicates the odor is there, reward at the odor with a treat and don't give them the opportunity to claw or bite at it.

You might want to find a Nosework class near you and if there aren't any available maybe find a video you can purchase.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page