Remote collar question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Remote collar question

This question goes out to the remote collar experts only.

My pup., 1 yr old, goes in the pool but just goes in the first step, makes a mess, drinks some water and goes out and when he comes back into the house , it is a mess. wet feet.. mud etc. I use a remote collar on him and it works well. Would it be fair to allow him to use the pool as listed above , when I thought it was ok, and correct when I dont want him to use it? for ex, if we will be in the yard for a long time, I dont have to worry about the mess. if just a quickie , then I dont want him to enter the pool. Should a well trained dog be required to enter if I say ok and not enter if I say no, or is that unfair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

I vote for unfair to you and your dog. There is the risk that he will end up being afraid of going into the pool at all. It would be easier to just keep him on a leash when you are out in the yard for just a short time. He could practice heeling, sit/stay, down/stay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Crowned Member

No it's not fair. Dogs need clear rules and guidelines. It's not fair for you to correct him for getting into the pool sometimes and then allow it other times.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Master Member

I don't use the collar to stop a behavior, instead I use the collar to get the dog to DO a behavior. So no, I wouldn't "correct" the dog away from the pool.

This is a management issue, you need some way to block him from entering the pool when you don't want him in there....or you need to be out with him and keep him away from it. You can't have it both ways, he's either allowed to go in, or not.

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
I don't use the collar to stop a behavior, instead I use the collar to get the dog to DO a behavior. So no, I wouldn't "correct" the dog away from the pool.

This is a management issue, you need some way to block him from entering the pool when you don't want him in there....or you need to be out with him and keep him away from it. You can't have it both ways, he's either allowed to go in, or not.
Interesting! How do you get a dogto "Do" a behavior with a shock collar insead of stop? I thought it was for correcting?

Celia Belle Mickel
Born:6/1/11
Breed:GSD
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Knighted Member

I use it to stop a behavior as well as do. For example, if I say come and he ignores me, I will shock him to make him do as he's told.

I use it also to stop him from chasing my 14 yr old cat.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:14 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke4275 View Post
This question goes out to the remote collar experts only.

My pup., 1 yr old, goes in the pool but just goes in the first step, makes a mess, drinks some water and goes out and when he comes back into the house , it is a mess. wet feet.. mud etc. I use a remote collar on him and it works well. Would it be fair to allow him to use the pool as listed above , when I thought it was ok, and correct when I dont want him to use it? for ex, if we will be in the yard for a long time, I dont have to worry about the mess. if just a quickie , then I dont want him to enter the pool. Should a well trained dog be required to enter if I say ok and not enter if I say no, or is that unfair?
Absolutely unfair. Dogs aren't humans... they don't reason like we do. They don't understand that sometimes things are ok and other times they aren't depending on the situation. They need clear rules.

And how familiar are you with e-collars? Have you ever used them before? Simple supervision is really all that's needed in these type of situations. No need to shock a dog for what you're explaining... it's just going to confuse him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen_mickel View Post
Interesting! How do you get a dogto "Do" a behavior with a shock collar insead of stop? I thought it was for correcting?
Look up Lou Castle's training methods. His techniques use the collar as a guide and not a consequence. You don't correct the dog by shocking it... you very lightly stimulate until the command is followed through with by the dog.

http://www.loucastle.com/

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 07-22-2012 at 03:16 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I also recommend Lou Castle's site. There are TWO ways to use the collar. The 'lazy' trainer way DOES work for the crittering issues. So as a punishment when my dog is about to DIE chasing something into traffic, you can punish using the collar.

That said.... using the collar ONLY as a punishment (lazy training method) is also what has giving e-collars a bad name cause they can really mess up a dog UNLESS they are instead paired with using them the SMART way.........

to teach our dogs to think and learn! Rather than setting them up to FAIL and activating the collar to PUNISH!

Unfortunately, most of us are lazy and don't read the instructions, instead going for the quick fix to the detriment of the mental health and our relationship with our dogs. But if you do take the time and decide to learn a new way to TRAIN (not a new way to punish) the e-collar is an amazing tool. Love that Lou knows this and the very first thing he writes is:

How To...

Quote:
The protocols are written as they are, because they've been found to work after years of testing. If you're a beginner, this is very much a "read and follow the instructions carefully and closely" situation. If you're the type of person who doesn't read the instructions when you get a new toy, the Ecollar and these methods are probably not for you. If you're the kind of person who has great difficulty in following written instructions, this is probably not the best place for you to learn to use an Ecollar. Consider finding a trainer in your area who uses my methods. If you decide to skip a step or modify the protocol, you may get the desired result, or you may not. You may get what appears to be a good result only to find later on, that a problem has developed because you've skipped a step. In some ways dog training is like building a house. You need a good foundation or the rest of the project will come crashing down.
MOST IMPORTANT FIRST STEP!!!! ---> Fit An Ecollar

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Say the word “sit.”
Press the button on the Ecollar.
Move the leash straight up over the dog’s head to pull him gently into a sit.
And press gently on his hips to push his butt towards the ground.

Wouldnt it be easier to just to lure a sit? Or does this bring better resaults in the long run?

Celia Belle Mickel
Born:6/1/11
Breed:GSD
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

Every dog is different. With a simple sit, an e-collar really isn't needed no matter what method you use.

For a 100% reliable recall, an e-collar works great. That's really the only thing I use it for. All other training is with other methods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page