Fear In Obedience? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Fear In Obedience?

Do you believe that there is a certain level of fear in obedience? A trainer friend has said this,and firmly believes it. I don't believe in this at all,and while we agree on many things,this isn't one of them.

A dog responding out of fear is way different than a dog responding because he respects you. That is not what I strive for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 AM

I don't think there should be fear in obedience. I think obedience comes from a dog's respect for you. I work with Kaiser the same way I teach my kids. I don't want them to fear me, as that would lead to bad things in the long run.

So I agree with you.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Knighted Member

I use a mix of positive and compulsion training. I'd like to see hear some feedback on IPO/SchH titled dogs (especially showlines) that were trained purely on positive training with zero compulsion or corrections. Not saying one is better than the other, just curious to see how often it happens.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Crowned Member

there should absolutely not be fear with Obedience. it should be all positive motivation. using praise and rewards. i can't believe anyone would beleive in fear motivation, in fact i don't even know how a dog could respond well to that. training should be fun and positive.

url
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Crowned Member

Obedience and fear just don't work together...if a dog is obedient because they are afraid then they really aren't trained. This is my opinion and only my opinion

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
I use a mix of positive and compulsion training. I'd like to see hear some feedback on IPO/SchH titled dogs (especially showlines) that were trained purely on positive training with zero compulsion or corrections. Not saying one is better than the other, just curious to see how often it happens.
I just took my dog to get evaluated for this and its done purely positive. BUT, there is always a but..although the trainer and training are positive it doesn't mean that any work outside of this with the owner is positive only. While I was watching the dogs, one of them kinda cowered his head when the owner had him in the heel position...it definitely looked like for a brief moment that the dog thought it was going to be hit...I remember thinking that if my dog ever did that I would be very disappointed in myself.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I just took my dog to get evaluated for this and its done purely positive. BUT, there is always a but..although the trainer and training are positive it doesn't mean that any work outside of this with the owner is positive only. While I was watching the dogs, one of them kinda cowered his head when the owner had him in the heel position...it definitely looked like for a brief moment that the dog thought it was going to be hit...I remember thinking that if my dog ever did that I would be very disappointed in myself.
They "cower" their head when they are about to be remote collar zinged. You will know which dogs are trained that way , just watch the subtle reactions.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Crowned Member

No. Obedience is about working together as a team. there shouldn't be any fear involved. There is a time and place for a correction and if the correction is given at an appropriate time then there shouldn't be any fear.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Hence my question, I've visited a few schutzhund clubs, train at a club several times weekly and have been to several trials/events/shows. I am very much a novice, but I have yet to see a titled dog (especially a SL) that has been trained using positive training only. I am talking about IPO1/SchH1 at least. Not a BH or CGC. I have no doubt that the latter can be easily done using positive training. My point is that simple obedience can be done via positive only. I've done so with all of my non-schutzhund dogs. I have no doubts about that. I wonder how many dogs can be titled if we used only positive training for serious titling. Fear is different than a correction. A correction given properly can be an useful tool in training.

Ash

Last edited by qbchottu; 07-12-2012 at 07:33 AM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Crowned Member

if i went to any trainer that believed in fear based training i would run................i can't even imagine that type of thinking.......

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page