Hose as a training tool? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hose as a training tool?

I have a fence barker. She runs the fence barking like crazy at all people or dogs that pass by. I tried to use positive training only for months with very little progress. But my dog is not very food motivated. I was out watering the yark one day and she started to bark like crazy was not listening to me. So I gave her a spray. She did not like it and stopes barking.

Now I use the hose as a training tool. I say no barking they stop now most of the time. If they stop when asked they get a treat and praise. No spray at all. If they keep barking they get the hose.

This method has been working really well. It's a mix of negative and positive. They only get the spray if they don't listen. If they listen they get only reward. They are allowed to bark just they have to stop when asked. If I dont ask them to stop they can bark all they want.

I know the spray is negative but treats alone don't cut it with my dog. The fence running is more rewarding then food treats to her. With this method everyone has been helping with the training.

What do you think of my hose method? Any others use this type of negative mix with positive?

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Elite Member

We used the hose on our golden, and it worked fine. I use a spray bottle on Sasha (as she almost never barks outside only inside).

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Some behaviours are very hard to stop and alter with positive training once they have started and are ingrained. Plus some behaviours are self-rewarding, in that the the behaviour itself causes a release of adrenalin and serotonin as it is highly arousing and addictive. The more they do it, the more they get addicted to it. These kind of behaviours are better prevented, but once they have started, sometimes only a good correction like your hose method will work.

I have a barker, and I swear her going into a barking frenzy is like a high for her. It was a lot of supervision and well timed training to teach her to not bark, and that was stopping her before she even started. She barks at noises when she is in the house because she is left alone during the day, and I cannot always stop or correct her. But is never outside without supervision, and since I'm always there, I've always been able to stop the barking before it even started.

She knows to not bark when outside, and it has never been an issue since.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

Last edited by Castlemaid; 07-09-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper311 View Post
Now I use the hose as a training tool. I say no barking they stop now most of the time. If they stop when asked they get a treat and praise. No spray at all. If they keep barking they get the hose.
I have a long walking stick that I use when I take the dogs for a walk off property. I've never, ever had to hit any dog with the stick. Never even threatened my dogs with the stick. Truly - never.

But if my dogs are reacting by barking when ever we are outside the fence (with the tractor / 4-wheelers / Gator etc.) and they are inside the fence, I can pick up the stick and they all stop barkings. They don't run, or duck, or flee. They just all stop. I call it my magic wand.

I can be at the barn and if one of the dogs start barking I can point the stick a them and say their name...and quiet. I dunno. Magic.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I have a long walking stick that I use when I take the dogs for a walk off property. I've never, ever had to hit any dog with the stick. Never even threatened my dogs with the stick. Truly - never.

But if my dogs are reacting by barking when ever we are outside the fence (with the tractor / 4-wheelers / Gator etc.) and they are inside the fence, I can pick up the stick and they all stop barkings. They don't run, or duck, or flee. They just all stop. I call it my magic wand.

I can be at the barn and if one of the dogs start barking I can point the stick a them and say their name...and quiet. I dunno. Magic.
My great aunt had 6 chihuahua when I was little. I remember she had a stick for them. They would yap like crazy she take the stick and tap it on the ground to get them to stop.

The stick is a good idea.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Master Member

Sounds like the hose is working for you as a deterrent.

Minka, on the other hand, considers being sprayed in the face a reward! To each his own I guess

I give her a command, she complies, and I squirt her with the hose. She is in heaven on these hot days with "hose training"!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HIC, CD, IPO 2

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaeUlva View Post
Minka, on the other hand, considers being sprayed in the face a reward! To each his own I guess
My Lacy loves the water hose as well. I suppose I could use it to redirect if needed. He hears the squeak of the faucet and he's in my pocket waiting for the hose...

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Update. It worked! A whole family went by the house today she ran over and just watched them. Did not make a pee did not even react in anyway. I gave her lots of praise then a treat. I think she gets it. I am so happy. She is still on guard and will still bark like mad at the UPS truck but she is thinking before she barks now.

She will bark a warning bark something but no longer barks her self into a frenzy. She is not fearful of the hose. She will sand near it when filling up the water bowl. No mental damage has been done.

Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
My Lacy loves the water hose as well. I suppose I could use it to redirect if needed. He hears the squeak of the faucet and he's in my pocket waiting for the hose...
My boy also loves the water, the hose is his favorite toy. He is not a barker just wanted to echo what was said that every canine is different.

I do have chihuahuas and they are barkers. I used a device that emits a high pitch noise when it detects barking. I had to play around with the most effective placement but once found it worked quite decently. After a few weeks I did not use the device at all, they were trained not to bark.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaeUlva View Post
Sounds like the hose is working for you as a deterrent.

I give her a command, she complies, and I squirt her with the hose. She is in heaven on these hot days with "hose training"!
Haha same here my little girl loves the hose and will do anything to get it. I think she might just like it more then treats. Taught her to speak by using it since if she misses the stream of water while chasing she barks at it...too cute lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page