Kennel Chewing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Kennel Chewing

Hello All.

I am new to this board, so please excuse this post if someone has already had this problem and solutions are available.

My husband and I just adopted a German Shepherd, Gunner, from the local humane society one week and two days ago. All I know of his story is that he is roughly 4-5 years old, neutered male who was roaming the streets. I, or he picked us, for multiple reasons. One, is that I had a Black German Shepherd for 9 years, who was recently put down due to degenerative myelopathy. I loved how loyal, willing, beautiful, protective, and their personalities, and many many many more. Second, Gunner seemed to have a connection with me. He would always keep eye contact with me, plus two other girls were messing with him at the humane society and as I was walking around he would not keep his eyes off of me. Third, he was just so handsome and I had to have him.

He is fitting into our life just fine. We are teaching him patience like sitting and looking up at us before we give the okay for him to eat. Sitting and waiting before we put the leash on him and go outside. He needs some more work, but is progressing very well as we are starting some at home obedience. However, we have one problem that has occurred. He is kennel trained, as for when we are not home, he goes in (we are in the process of moving in less than two weeks so when we do, we are hoping he will be able to have free rein of the house). He knows that the kennel is his den/home/safe spot as he goes in it willing on his own; so it isn't a "bad thing". Even when we leave, he does in it without giving us a problem but once we leave he becomes an escape artist and tries to get out (this recently started happening). One time we when we came home he was out of his kennel. With zip ties holding the sides from him breaking loose (it is one of those wired crates) but he is biting and pulling the bottom part of the kennel. We have tried the peanut butter in the kong, a bone type deal that is suppose to last long and keep a dog busy, but it doesn't work. I understand that he needs to stay active, as we are trying the best we can until we can move into our new place; but we want this to stop. He is the type of dog who will not chew on chewies until someone is home, so is out of the picture. I have been looking at mental stimulation toys, but do not want to spend an arm and a leg if they don't work.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Crowned Member

Well, what is the difference between this place and the new place(as far as free reign of the house)? Maybe he needs more exercise, mental and physical. When he does escape, does he get into anything? If he doesn't I'd be more worried about him hurting himself while he's trying to escape.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

Was your house damaged when you found he had escaped? If not, I would consider dog proofing a room and leaving him out for a brief period of time, and see how he does. Do it for a short period of time in case he isn't safe in the house and he decides to tear it apart.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Knighted Member

A temp solution might be to get a better system of containment. If you can afford it, aluminum dog crates like these are virtually chew proof.
Leerburg Dog Training | Dog Crates
RAM Kennel - The World's Only Aluminum Kennel Designed With The Working Dog In Mind.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

llombardo - The difference between the two places is that for one, my husband and I are not currently living together; so he has two roommates and he doesn't want Gunner running around the house due to respect for them. Which means Gunner is limited to the bedroom (where his kennel is) when we are not home. I am not able to put as much time as I need to due to the living situation and the neighborhood isn't the safest for walking (even though I have a Shepherd, it still is scary).

He does not destroy anything in the room when he gets out, and I am okay with trying to give him free rein, but my husband is iffy about it until we move in.

Edit: I would love to get an aluminum crate, but we could not afford it.

Last edited by Jaders; 07-09-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page