Raising drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Kev

Raising drive

Today my trainer commented on my 6 month dog and said "At this age, his drives should be so much that it comes out of his ass" basically he said it was not enough.
Im not sure how to raise his drives, esp. Food drive ( he'll finish his meal in 2 mins but easily gets bored with treats like chicken, pork, and green tripe)
Anyone with a dog that had low drives and bloomed to a high drive dog?

Millview's Bosco 12/15/11 Winter Pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Use his (meal)food to build his drive. What is your trainer doing to help you? And what are you training in? Obedience....can be boring, you need to work on engagement and keep it fun for now.
6 months is still young, google "sleeper". If he is comparing your pup to a Mal, then he needs to stop!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-08-2012 at 08:37 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Today my trainer commented on my 6 month dog and said "At this age, his drives should be so much that it comes out of his ass" basically he said it was not enough.
Im not sure how to raise his drives, esp. Food drive ( he'll finish his meal in 2 mins but easily gets bored with treats like chicken, pork, and green tripe)
Anyone with a dog that had low drives and bloomed to a high drive dog?
How about a toy? Would he like that better? Maybe switch between the two? IMO the focus the dog has with you is more important then the drive(at his age anyway). What would be the reason why you would want him to have a higher drive, besides what the trainer is saying?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Kev

I guess higher drive = easier to train?
but yeah, he doesn't like his fleace tug but likes to chase the rag on a flirt pole or ball.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

Higher drive, not necessarily easy. Biddable, pack drive yes.
He is teething so tug and toys right now are probably not real high value....by 7 months teething is waning(back molars are erupting still) so stay with food for another month or so. You can get enthusiasm with food. Look at Bridget Carlsen's site for her methods in engagement with food.
What type training are you doing?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Kev

Mostly engagement. Not a lot of interest in the food after maybe 3-4 sessions.
Huh, he's still teething? all his teeth are out but the back molars do look small lol

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

Are you using the pups meals for exclusive training? There is so much you can do using the meal(raw is a bit more complicated though) Change up what you use for training treats, my dog gets tired of the same thing, no matter how yummy it was the other day.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Crowned Member

Wait unto the dog is older to assess drive....and what difference does the drive level have to do with imprinting obedience. The dog is probably not a high drive dog anyway or you would know. Let the dog grow up, he has a nice pedigree for a balanced dog, not a prey monster. And if he's not a prey monster at this age, your not going to do much with toys yet. Drive slow Homey!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

Kev who is the trainer?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Crowned Member

Kev, from another thread you said "
My dog has decent/good suspicion level. I think it comes from the czech side though. Not a very social dog and could care less on what you do unless a you stares into his eyes. After that, all bets are off. I guess suspicion is related to fear in some degree?

what are you doing to a 6 month old pup in 100 degree temperature .

This dog needs to see the normal side of human life .
He needs to grow and mature . He needs to adapt to the seasons . Young dogs , babies, have difficulty regulating temperature so he may feel the heat more.

Who is he not social with?
Who is staring in the eyes , strangers? , yourself , teasing , and what is "all bets off".

drive coming out of his rear at 6 months-- I question the trainer . You build , not tear down.

Make sure goals are realistic . Respect the breeder and ask them -- they should know their stock and the rates that the dogs mature at .
If the dog has the goods it doesn't matter when you start . Establish a relationship with the dog . Get in sync . Understand what the dog is motivated by . No rush .
You can always have the dog looked at by another trainer.

Carmen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page