"Hier" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

"Hier"

I have trained my GSD "Hier", in about 1-2 minutes, and he is doing fantastic! I'm not sure if I trained it the proper way, but it seemed to work just fine. I use clicker training, so that probably made the difference. First, I got him into the "Hier" position, said the word, then clicked and rewarded. After doing that a few times, he got it. Is this training method ok? It's how I've always done my training, including heel, and it's extremely fast working and effective.

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Knighted Member

What actually did you do? Sorry I'm not understanding your question.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
What actually did you do? Sorry I'm not understanding your question.
I'm wondering if my way of training is wrong. But if it works, I wouldn't think it would be. What I'm doing is saying the command, getting him to come to me by patting my stomach, and putting him in the "sit" position facing me. Then I click and reward. He got it very quickly, so I think it's great. Does it even matter how I got him to do it? As long as he gets it and is having fun, it's fine, right?

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

There are 10 different ways to train a dog....they all work depending on the handler, dog, and results......so you are not wrong if it is successful with that dog. Some people can be dogmatic about the"only" way to do things....I shy away from those people.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
There are 10 different ways to train a dog....they all work depending on the handler, dog, and results......so you are not wrong if it is successful with that dog. Some people can be dogmatic about the"only" way to do things....I shy away from those people.
Yes, it is very successful with my dog, so I must be doing something right. Clicker training has also had a tremendous impact on him. Those people do tend to get on my nerves.

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
I have trained my GSD "Hier", in about 1-2 minutes, and he is doing fantastic! I'm not sure if I trained it the proper way, but it seemed to work just fine. I use clicker training, so that probably made the difference. First, I got him into the "Hier" position, said the word, then clicked and rewarded. After doing that a few times, he got it. Is this training method ok? It's how I've always done my training, including heel, and it's extremely fast working and effective.

The method works if the dog do what you tell it to when you tell him to do it.

Have you "proofed" your dog under increasing levels of distraction?

Depending on the dog and your requirements, this could include your wife/husband/child right in the immediate area, another dog running by, him chewing a bone, chasing a cat, etc. etc.

Only when your dog will do it quickly "every" time under these circumstances can you (me anyway!) say thet your dog knows the command!

Your post sounds like you consider your dog to have "learned" the command and after all that is what is important - what do YOU think of your dog and them learning a command.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
The method works if the dog do what you tell it to when you tell him to do it.

Have you "proofed" your dog under increasing levels of distraction?

Depending on the dog and your requirements, this could include your wife/husband/child right in the immediate area, another dog running by, him chewing a bone, chasing a cat, etc. etc.

Only when your dog will do it quickly "every" time under these circumstances can you (me anyway!) say thet your dog knows the command!

Your post sounds like you consider your dog to have "learned" the command and after all that is what is important - what do YOU think of your dog and them learning a command.
No, I haven't "proofed" him under distractions yet, because I want to make sure I take things slow and let him get the "feel" of the command. I will eventually move on to that though. Well, he does know the command, but I am still working on it with him, improving things. My trainer teaches to move slowly; train the dog to get very close to what you want him/her to do, then when he/she has mastered that, get him/her to gradually work up to the correct form. Right now, he is not getting as close to me as I want, but I will gradually work it into him. What matters is that he's getting it, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will reach perfection (or somewhere around there)!

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
No, I haven't "proofed" him under distractions yet, because I want to make sure I take things slow and let him get the "feel" of the command. I will eventually move on to that though. Well, he does know the command, but I am still working on it with him, improving things. My trainer teaches to move slowly; train the dog to get very close to what you want him/her to do, then when he/she has mastered that, get him/her to gradually work up to the correct form. Right now, he is not getting as close to me as I want, but I will gradually work it into him. What matters is that he's getting it, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will reach perfection (or somewhere around there)!

I thought from what you said in your intial post "I have trained my GSD "Hier", in about 1-2 minutes, and he is doing fantastic!" that you considered your dog to be trained.

You also should decide what "Perfection" is to you. That way you can train for it and know when you achieve it (or at least "close enough". What level of ditraction and for what time interval do you expect your dog to stay? Or how close and in what direction do you expect your dog to sit when heeling?

I.E. my idea of "STAY" is very different from what most of the folks in my OB club think it is. I think when I tell my dog to stay that short of something that will cause him physivcal harm; he should stay in that position UNTILL I give him the release word "OK". Others have much lower standards and are very quick to make excuses for their dogs when they break their stay for any number of reasons, including "Too Hot" "Too cold" people came too close, a bee came too close, etc. etc. etc.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
No, I haven't "proofed" him under distractions yet, because I want to make sure I take things slow and let him get the "feel" of the command. I will eventually move on to that though.

Clicker training can be a lot of fun. Have you tired capturing behaviors yet?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
I.E. my idea of "STAY" is very different from what most of the folks in my OB club think it is. I think when I tell my dog to stay that short of something that will cause him physivcal harm; he should stay in that position UNTILL I give him the release word "OK". Others have much lower standards and are very quick to make excuses for their dogs when they break their stay for any number of reasons, including "Too Hot" "Too cold" people came too close, a bee came too close, etc. etc. etc.
So if you tell your dog to down or sit, do you have to tell him to stay too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page