Getting my dog to go in the right place - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Getting my dog to go in the right place

Currently, my dog understands that if he needs to go, he has to go out. He knows the right place to go potty but sometimes, when I leave him alone for a while in a room, he does his business in the room. I try to keep a constant eye on him but its always the split second when Im not looking. For example, I took him out to potty once we headed back in, I left him in a room to play for a while, but after 2 minutes, there was a puddle next to him. He knew he did the wrong thing and felt guilty so the cuttled up in his corner . Its like he doesn't want to hold it or doesn't know how to. What should I do to tell him this place is the wrong place to go potty. (I've tried cleaning the spot so there wouldn't be any scent but it doesn't help )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

How old is he? If he's just a puppy, you can't take your eyes off him for even a second and you have to take him out extremely often as he has no idea what he's supposed to do yet.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

he's 6 months right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 PM

That, and also, if you catch him in the act of eliminating indoors, don't freak out and cause a huge scene. He will see this as him eliminating is a bad thing, and will attempt to hide it from you. Calmly get him outside to his "spot" and shower him with praise when he goes there.

I had a friend that used to freak out on his dog during housebreaking, and the dog took to pooping in shoes in the closet because she thought it was a bad thing. needless to say I had one helluva talk with him about how he was trying to train her. He finally saw the light...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sansa - Joined our family 2012/07/21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page